Chapter 9: Sleepyhead

"Juri...?" Jack says, pushing her forearm softly in a shake.

Juri had the side of her head laying on her hand as her eyes drooped in exhaustion, she almost fell asleep until Jack called her. When she heard her name and the touch, her eyes snapped open for a brief second. She mumbled, "What?"

"You're about to fall asleep onto your plate." Jack said, then points to her breakfast plate that she prepared earlier, Jack was almost finished with his.

Juri moves her head lazily, and stares at her plate, strands of her long hair were already poking the food. She lifted her head, and yawned loudly, covering her mouth.

"Geez, what time did you sleep?" He asked, rubbing her back.

Juri enjoyed the feeling, smiling softly, she then laid back, resting her head on his lap. Jack smiles, playing with her hair.

"Answer my question sleepyhead."

Juri yawned again, saying her answer at the same time, "I think around 4."

Jack's eyes widened, "And you only had four hours of sleep after?!"

"No its okay." Juri mutters softly, "I can get through the day."

"No way." Jack says, he positions her right, and lifts her small figure into his arms. She begins to hit his chest, if Juri was stable and wide awake, Jack would have winced in pain by her hits, but her hits at that moment made him rolls his eyes. "You are going to sleep, this is the 3rd time this week where you're practically falling asleep outside of the room. And we're not even done with the week yet."

Jack enters the room, kicking the door open. He walks to their bed, and lays Juri onto their bed. His hand grabs the sheet, pulling it over Juri's body, a sense of warmth hugged her body and she closed her eyes in content. He kissed her head and she smiled. Finally, her breathing settled to slumber and she was deep asleep.

He sighs as he leaves the room, quietly closing the door behind him. His thoughts travelled back to his encounter with Pitch a while ago. Jack knew this was Pitch's doing, and he shouldn't stop until he gets what he wants. Though what Pitch wants, is Jack's biggest fear to come true.

****

When Jack returned home, he noticed it was deathly quiet. He frowned and made his way up the stairs going towards the bedroom. The door opened and he saw that Juri wasn't there. His heart pounded in fright, he looked around and saw that their window was open too.

He stepped out of the room, shouting out her name. It echoed throughout the house, but no reply. Jack checked all the rooms, all were empty. Though the phone kept ringing, but Jack didn't even glance at it. He rushed out the door, searching for Juri.

His head hurt and he flew towards every house he knew, asking any of the kids if they had seen Juri. None have, which made Jack's heart fall more. He flew around more through the town, tracking for her recognizable red head. Nothing. His eyes scanned more until he saw a familiar face.

"Laila!" He yelled and flew down towards her. She stopped running and sighed in relief seeing Jack.

"Jack! I've been calling and calling you! I practically was sprinting towards your house because my car is being fixed."

"Why? What happened? No actually have you seen Juri?"

"That's what I've been trying to tell you!" Laila panted, "I saw Juri a few minutes ago walking towards the forest past the lake!"

Jack's eyes widened, she continued, "I tried going after her but she wouldn't listen to me. Plus this isn't my season and I can't interfer with the Spring faerie's right now since they're helping it come. And they're working at the forest so I can't cross. That's why I've been trying to reach you!"

He didn't hesitate once more, after hearing that, he knew Juri wasn't able to control herself right now. She was most likely in a trance or spell of some sort. Jack flew away from Laila and towards the forest. As he got closer, he spotted a glimpse of red hair flowing in the wind, walking towards a cliff.