the Kill

I stalked my current prey , watching my footing and edging closer for a better opportunity. If I missed and made a sudden noise it would scare and I would have to start all over again. I continued to inch forward closer to the opening in the woods, slowly pulling an arrow from over my shoulder. I moved forward another step and notched the arrow lining up the kill shot. When I step on branch, I flinch watching the doe's head snap up and in my direction before she starts to race away. I let my arrow fly and hear dull thud as it sinks into the flesh of the animal. I watch as it continues to scamper away. Quickly following it as it stumbles along trying to escape. Eventually it grows weak and collapses to the floor unable to continue running any longer. As I near the animal I can hear its cries and whimpers of pain. I place my hand on the animals throat, reaching for the knife strapped to my leg. I pet the animal gently soothing it.

"Yu gonplei ste Odom." I whisper firmly placing my hand on the neck of the deer. Slashing my knife and giving the killing cut and ending the life of the animal. I run my knife through the early noon dew drops in the grass, wiping away the blood and returning my knife to where it belongs. I let the animal bleed out a little while longer and clean the arrow head replacing it over my shoulder, to be used again. Once there is a significant amount of blood loss, I grab a hold of the antlers and begin to drag the animal towards my home. It was going to be used in our upcoming Kongeda meeting. I drag the animal through the forest and pause every now and then to relax my tense muscles before continuing on again. I reach the city limits and pound on the door that leads to the kitchen.

A few moments later the door opens with a groan revealing Malikai. "Heva Malikai, hir the complei gon disha mornings homplei." (Hello Malikai, here the kill from this mornings hunt.) I gesture to the blood soaked animal resting at my feet.

"Good frag em op's a large trilipia em will feed many kru." (Good kill it's a large deer and will feed many people.) He reaches down and grabs a hold of the rack and I grip the legs and we lift the dead animal, carrying it to the butcher's table. I wipe my hands on a dirty rag before tossing it into a dirty pile that will need to be washed when someone has some spare time.

"Nou forget ai want the rack, em's a nice won, no?" Malikai nods his head taking in the animal before him. "Ai souda be going nau head will be wondering where ai laik. Ai need kom clean." (Don't forget I want the rack, it's a nice one, no? I must be going now the commander will be wondering where I am. I need to lean myself.) I dismiss myself and exit the kitchen beginning the trek up to my quarters. I reach my room, pushing open the doors, entering. I all out for a maid.

"Would yu beja draw me a bath?" (Would you please draw me a bath?) I ask. The child nods and disappears into my room to fill the tub. I walk across my room and over to the window on the far side of my quarters and step onto the landing overlooking Ton DC. I'm so deep in thought I don't realize that the girl has called my name a few times. When I feel a slight touch on my shoulder I snap out of my thoughts and turn to the girl.

"Ai apologies lacey. Ba your bath ste ready...Ste der anything else ai can do gon yu?" (My apologies lacey. But your bath is ready...Is there anything else I can do for you?) She asks quietly, bowing her head and avoiding my eyes.

"No. Mochof gon your help Diana." (No. Thank you for your help Diana) I dismiss her, she nods slightly and exits the room swiftly. I strip out of my hunting gear and sink into the warm water, the scent of lavender and herbs overtaking my senses. I sink underneath the water closing my eyes and holding my breath. I stay under for as my body will allow me before sitting up and inhaling large gulps of air. I drag my fingers through the knots in my hair and untangle the snarls the best I can before rubbing some of the soap I picked up in the market last week into my scalp and into my skin. Washing away the blood and dirt from this morning's hunt. After I've finished cleaning myself and the water goes cold, I step out of the tub setting my feet on the fur rug and wringing my hair over the draining tub. I walk across my room towards my dresser and pull out the clothing I figure Heda would want me to wear. I slip on the plain black underwear and matching bra. I hear a knock. "Come in." I call over my shoulder.

"Lacey, Ai would like yu kom wear disha tonight gon the kongeda meeting kom the clans. Ai think em would suit yu well." (I would like you to wear this tonight for the coalition meeting with the clans. I think it would suit you well.) I turn upon hearing the Commander's voice, bowing my head in respect. I walk over to my friend, taking the gown from her grasp. I slip it over my head and look down. Heda was right, it fit me well, the black complimented my skin and the dress hugged my curves and the slit up the side was sensual yet nice.

"Mochof." I thank her bowing my head again. She walks over to the shelf where my few shoes reside and stares for a while before walking back over with a pair of sandals. I smile sitting down on my bed and slipping the shoes on. Heda sits behind me and I feel her ghost of a touch as she traces over the scars scattered across my shoulder and the inkings that run across my skin. I had 6 kill marks in total and two ink markings. One for my home village Trikru and one of our sacred symbol.

"Yu laik a brave gona lacey com trikru." (You are a brave warrior Lacey com trikru) Heda commented.

"Mochof, ba ai laik nou as great a gona as yu heda." (Thank you, but I am not as great a warrior as you heda) I reply not believing her words.