I Told You So

The next day I take my time going back to Lincoln. I sleep into late morning before getting up, I set a trap and catch a hare and skin it, cut it up and cook it, I collect some nuts and herbs (medicinal) and a few berries. I figured it couldn't hurt to bring a few treats plus I was running a little low on provisions at my bird nest (her look out outside the camp). I get back to Lincoln's cave mid afternoon. I felt slightly bad for yelling at him the way I did but I was only trying to protect him. He needed to see that these skai people were a threat to us and they needed to be taken care of. I heard the fog horn as it echoed throughout the forest around me and curse, I was still at least twenty minutes from the caves I would have to go back the way I came or hope for shelter up north. I took my chances and started sprinting north hopefully there would be more caves or some kind of structure somewhere that I could take cover in until the fog passed. I continued sprinting until I tripped over something and was sent sprawling across the dirt. I looked back an saw a metal handle sticking out of the ground jut barely peaking out of the fallen leaves and brush growing around it. I didn't know how much longer I had left so I crawled back over and yanked hard on the handle, it moved up with a squeak revealing a door. I scraped away some leaves around the door and dropped in, closing the door around me. Now i wait. I tried to explore whatever I was in but couldn't due to the lack of light. It smelled wet and dirty and I could feel the area was tiny and there wasn't much room so I sat and I waited . About thirty minutes passed before I realized I hadn't heard the howls and cracks of the fog. Deciding it was worth the risk I pressed up against the door pushing it open. No fog. I climbed out of my hiding spot and started back in the direction I believed the caves were. I reached the caves about thirty minutes later and headed inside.

I hear voices ahead and slowed down creeping out of the shadows. I saw a group of skai crew standing around over Lincoln the leader with a spear aimed at Lincoln's throat. I let out a cry rushing forward knocking the leader to the side. I rolled us over and slammed my fist into his face before I was hit in the back of the head and the world went black...

When I come to I'm in an unknown place, I feel someone near my left hand and try to swing with my right but I can't i jerk myself forward trying to get free. "Help! She's waking up!" Someone screams, my arm is pulled taut and I can't move either of my arms. I try to kick my feet but they are chained down to the ground. I lurch forward trying to free myself from the bindings but to know avail. I grunt and growl giving another harsh lurch forward towards the skai invaders successfully scaring the male closest to me and the scrawny one towards the back.

"Tighten those up I don't want them getting loose. Especially her, she's quite the spitfire." I glare at the leader in front of me as my arms are stretched higher and my body protests but I show no sign of discomfort. I smirk at the bruise that has bloomed across his jaw- a dark purple and yellow color. I glance around the room taking in the four skai people, possible exits, and Lincoln who is strung up across from me. The room shakes and skai people are knocked around. I can hear the wind howling outside. A storm. I hear the low rumble of thunder and can only assume the skies have opened up around us. The leader straightens himself up and walks over to Lincoln leaning forward into his face and started asking questions. Lincoln looks at me and I shake my head slightly. Not a word. One of the others starts going through our things and picks up Lincoln's journal and starts to flip through it.

"Hey! Check it out!" The leader walks over and starts to flip through the pages, Lincoln lurches forward and I cringe there must be something important in there. Shit. I thrash against my holds trying to gain their attention but to no avail.

"I think we found something they don't want us to see Miller." He continues flipping before stopping on a page. A picture of the skai girl. I roll my eyes at the fascination towards the boring girl. He closes the book and starts to flip through mine until he stops on the picture of their camp and the tallies I've kept of how many of them there were and how many I knew had died. "That's our camp. She marked down a 102 but 10 are crossed off- that's how many people we've lost. " He closes the book and walks over to Lincoln again. Lincoln looks forward holding my gaze. "They've been watching us ever since we got here." The leader is questioning Lincoln about things in my book like he would know when the floor opens up and the girl known as Clarke climbs through the hole and stands in front of the oaf blocking her path.