Chapter 5, Cloud Nine

Over the moon is the expression used.  Cloud Nine if you will.  Nine was not oblivious to the irony.  At school on Monday Rodtang was waiting for him on the steps outside the front entrance.  His smile was huge when he saw Nine walking towards him.  As soon as Nine reached him he gave him a big warm hug.  Rodtang seemed overjoyed to see him.  He kept the hug friendly and didn't take it too far.  It was as if he knew that Nine would be embarrassed if he did what he really wanted to do,  kiss him.  

"Good morning P'Nine. I missed you yesterday."  

Nine wondered how they'd texted each other a hundred times during the day and well into the evening.  Turns out Rodtang had to be at home Sunday anyway,  his parents were coming to the condo to visit,  his mum often cleans for him.  She does his laundry and sometimes they take him out to buy food and snacks.  They keep his food cupboard at home well stocked.  

From what Rodtang tells him,  his father is short and heavy set,  he jokes that Rodtang couldn't be his son because he's so tall and thin.  That's the real reason they buy the food,  they think he's too skinny and they worry that he doesn't take care of himself.

Funny,  for Nine,  Rodtang's long lean figure is exactly what draws him.  It's so very different from his own body shape.  He likes that Rodtang has to look down into his eyes when they're together.  He liked it from the very first time he saw Rodtang,  there's no explaining it.

There was no question the rumours were flying around the school,  there were plenty of side glances when he walked through the halls.  Rodtang now made an extreme effort to find Nine wherever he was and,  stuck close to him at every opportunity.  They couldn't be closer when they sat together at lunch.  Their legs rubbed together as they ate.  

Fuse and Tee,  Frame and Book,   sat with them,  the three couples,  the hottest new topic at school.   

Since the other couples seemed to be at ease with it,  Nine did his best to pass off any comments that would normally make him uncomfortable.  In fact, most of their friends were really good about it and seemed happy to see Nine so content.  

Somehow his character changed,  he was still funny and cute as hell but there was an inner calm that glowed through his skin.  He couldn't help the way his eyes softened and changed whenever he was with Rodtang.  

At lunch, Rodtang told the other boys all about their date.  He gushed and poured out all Nine's romantic secrets to them.  Nine blushed and kept his eyes on his food.  Eating furiously while Rodtang described every minute of the night they had together. 

From the look on the other couples faces,  they were impressed.  

Book shot Frame a look and smacked his shoulder,  "why don't you ever take me out for something nice like that ?"  Frame was rubbing his wounded shoulder.  He really couldn't say anything other than:  "Ah, ah, ok, ok,  I'll get to work on that."  

Frame turned to face Nine and made his offhanded comment.  "Do you see what you've done now Nine?  You've made me look bad."  

Fuse, however,  was always different.  He petted the top of Tees arm and looked into his eyes.  "Tee always gives me what I want."  His dreamy stare suggested something other than a date.

Book gawked back at Fuse.  "Oy,  I get that too,  but no romantic lakeside picnic dinners with wine and a guitar serenade."  He smacked Frame again.

Frame looked at Nine now and pointed to Book.  "Do you see what I have to put up with?  Book can be really rough,  um, the first time we..."

A swift smack on the back of the head stopped Frame from enlightening the group on their more intimate encounters.