Chapter, 10, Dinner with the In-laws

It turned out to be a very strange week.  Nine spent it trying to figure out what was going on with Book and Frame.  Fuse seemed to be in on it,  he was clearly entertained by their constant talking into each others' ear's,  and Book's relentless punching and prodding of Frame. 

...................

Nine went to pick Rodtang up.  His mother happily handed over her keys for the task.  He waited for him in the parking lot and when he finally exited the building, Nine had to catch his breath,  Rodtang looked good.  He'd dressed with care and did his hair,  his shoes were shiny and when he got in the car,  Nine could smell a faint but delicious hint of cologne,  not too much,  just enough to make him seem fresh and spotlessly clean.  Nine's mom would love that,  and Rodtang knew it.  He'd noticed every time he went to Nine's home that it was impeccable in every sense of the word.

He was so nicely dressed that it made Nine nervous,  "what was he going to do?  ask for my hand in marriage?"

"Wow! you look really nice Nong,  Nine peered around the parking lot before kissing him hello.

"I missed you P',"  Rodtang fluttered his eyelashes,  the kiss was just barely off his lips.

He seemed as confident as ever.  Nine was more stressed than Rodtang appeared to be,  he gave the impression he was anxious to get there. 

"What are the flowers for?"  Nine was pointing to the bouquet that Rodtang was cradling in his arms.

"They're for your mom,  why P',  did you think they were for you?"  The taunt in Rodtang's voice coincided with the flip of his bangs and a twisted smile.

Nine swung his hand at him and blushed,  "no!"

"Aww,  P'Nine,  I will get you flowers too.  What kind do you like?"

"Don't tease me Rodtang,"  his voice was firm but when he looked at Rodtang's fluttering eyes his whole gruff aura was sucked out the window like a puff of smoke.

"Are you nervous P'?  what are you nervous about?"

"My parents know who you are Rodtang."

"Well, of course they do P',  I'm your little friend that you tutor and help study.

"No Nong,  you don't get it,  my parents know I'm gay,  I told them ages ago.  I'm sure by now they think you're my boyfriend.  You and all your silly tricks,  you're not fooling my dad,  I can guarantee that."

Rodtang swallowed hard and his jaw went slack.  "P',  how come I didn't know that?  I mean,  you should have told me that. What do I do now?"

Suddenly Rodtang went from the cool and smooth operator he thought he was,  to a mass of twitchy nerves.  The tissue paper around the flowers was rustling in his shaking hands

Nine's smirk wasn't helping,  Rodtang wasn't sure if he was joking or serious.  If he was serious,  the twitchy part could get a lot worse before it got better.

.......................

 Mr and Mrs Manapat were standing just inside the door when the boys arrived. Nine's mother was so flattered by Rodtang's gesture,  when he handed the flowers to her she hugged him. "What a fine boy you are Nong'Rodtang, she smiled at Nine.   "Nong you look so nice,"  Mrs took him by the shoulders and spun him around,  "doesn't he look handsome dear?"  Mr Manapat patted his head,  "yes sweetheart,  he's a dashing boy."  This is the part where Rodtang would normally bat his lashes or pour onto Mrs a thick spoonful of compliments but,  because he was so frazzled by Nine's earlier apocalyptic revelation,  he could only nod and "thank you Mrs Manapat.  With a quirky,  Nine-like smile,  "Take your friend to the living room dear, dinner won't be long. Mr Manapat didn't hug Rodtang but instead, he rubbed the boy's head again, go right in son, make yourself at home.