Chapter, 9, "Parenting"

His father looked so much like him it was freaky.  Rodtang sat in the car staring at the back of his head.  Even their haircut was similar and he couldn't help but look.  Nine's mother was chatting to her husband and was pointing and talking as the group drove back to Rodtang's dorm.  He could see where Nine got his beautiful smile,  his mother had the same mouthful of glowing white teeth and if was clearly from her that Nine got his silly faces and goofy sense of humour.

The whole day was spent going from cram school to cram school, the boys had to decide where they would be going over the summer break to study.  Rodtang didn't say anything to Nine's parents of course but he desperately wanted to be in the same place.  Although they were in different grades,  at least if they were in the same school he'd get to see Nine every day.  Anything else was unthinkable for him.

Neither of the parents had looked in the back seat,  if they had,  they would see that Nine had fallen asleep and his head was bent and resting on Rodtang's shoulder.  Their bare legs were next to each other and Rodtang was pulling with two fingers at the hairs on Nine's inner thigh.  

In his deep voice,  Nine's father asked,  "Nong'Rodtang,  have you decided what you plan to study when you graduate in a couple of years?"  His eyes were still on the road as he spoke.

"No sir,  my dad wants me to study medicine and my mother doesn't like the idea."

Mr Manapat was peeking in the rear-view mirror at the boy as he waited for him to clarify his answer.  "Why is that?"

"Oh,  mom thinks I should choose something that gives me more freedom,"  he giggled,  "she says doctors have no life."

Nine's parents both laughed,  his father saying,  "perhaps you're right.  But Son,  what is it you'd like to do?"

Stuttering a bit,  Rodtang didn't have an answer or at least one he felt he could tell them.  His plan was to follow wherever Nine went.  "Ah,  I'm just not sure yet sir,  P'Nine has been tutoring me a lot lately and I was going to ask him for advice."  His devious little mind working hard to charm Nine's parents all he could.

It worked,  Nine's father looked to his wife,  he was impressed hearing Rodtang's obvious compliment of his son.  "That's great Son,  I think you're very smart,  you know Nine has always been a top student,"  he reached and placed his hand on his wife's shoulder, "that's why we don't pressure Nine about his choices for the future,  we know no matter what he does,  he will be a success."

"Oh yes sir,  I agree,  Nine is the smartest person I know and I rely on him for guidance always."  He had his hands together and bowed his head as he spoke,  knowing that Mr Manapat was looking.

Rodtang shone a smile into the mirror and back at Mr Manapat.  He seemed pleased and proud to hear it and,  his shoulders straightened as he was turning his attention back to the traffic.

"I was hoping sir that Nine could come to my condo when you drop me off,  I have a project for school that I would like his help with,  would that be ok with you?

"Of course,  he turned his head and looked into the back seat, "why don't you wake him up,  we're just about there."

Rodtang reached his left hand and put it on the left side of Nine's head,  rubbing it gently he spoke his name and roused the sleeping young man.  

"Nine your dad said you can come to my place and help me with that "Big Project"

Rodtang's eyes were wide and he was trying to get his point across that he'd successfully wrangled and night together with him.  Nine was rubbing his eyes but caught on to Rodtang's hint,  "Ah yes,  Big Project,  of course, I'll help."