Prologue

(This is my First August Alsina story and I wanted to attract a more mature set of readers. Enjoy! Nia and Brittny in the m/m.)

Nia

You can call me a dreamer or just another girl from the Bronx who swears she's gonna top all the wannabes one day and flaunt through the hood with her go-getter boyfriend and the latest Louboutin's on her feet. Yeah, that's what goes through my head. From what I've been told many of times, it's nonsense. Reality never really kicks in, because I usually have to catch myself before I realize my reality is nowhere near the shit I fantasize about. But isn't everybody else's?

I just want the chance to show everyone that I could be up in the A-list clubs with the big ballers and rappers. Talk shit about the people below me, and flaunt on these hoes. I mean, I didn't come from nothing, but being more seemed better. So, to shit on everyone else has always been a goal. I know I'm coming off as selfish, but the top is a throne for only one person in my eyes. School definitely wasn't getting me any closer to my throne. Reasons why I dropped out in the 11th grade.

I always told myself I was better than those bitches, I know I am. And I knew I can do better than them, or so I thought. Regret always hits me for dropping out. Like, whenever I see a pair of shoes I can't afford because my slow job at Starbucks ain't bringing in no real money, it irks the hell outta me. Being 21 without a diploma ain't no joke and it's sad that I realized this after all these years.

But I'm not completely latched out from the world of finer things. I still keep myself flashed out with jewelry and designer shit. Not the way that I want to, but I still get glares from haters walking down the street. I wasn't poor growing up, I was always a girl of expensive taste. My grandma slaved her ass everyday working 3 jobs just to make sure me and my sister were straight. We were privileged to the extreme and it certainly rubbed off on me when it comes to wanting a lot.

My twin sister, on the other hand, isn't the complete opposite of me. She wants to be better than everyone, just like me. But you know how that twin shit goes. That 'good twin, bad twin' bullshit. She actually cares about what people think. I was always the tough cookie, the one with the metal skin. Even in high school I had to help her out with a few arguments. She could be so soft at times, but as we grew up she learned to be a woman. Not the woman that I want her to be, but she's almost there.

Brittny

You ever walked in a shadow? Not literally, but metaphorically? I sometimes always feel that way. Like I'm in someone's shadow, but the crazy part is, who's shadow is it? I always lived a life of being lead, ya' know? This feeling is definitely something new, because I see myself as better than most. Me and my sister have always been this way.

Either it was small competition with girls from school or competition between each other. Me and my sister love each other to death, but to outshine each other was our motives. I think I got the better hand of things when she decided to drop out and I went on to finish high school. I always feel better with that advantage, but She never fails to get back on my level. I don't know how, but she does.

I never even had a steady boyfriend because of our competitive ways. She always thought she could go out and get a better guy, sometimes she did. And me feeding into her bitterness, I'd dump my guy and move on to someone better than him and better than hers. We were heartbreakers unintentionally.

But one thing I know we both want equally is to be loved. Besides wanting to be better than everyone, we just want a real man. It isn't really hard to find a guy considering me and my sister both posses good looks, but we're tough. We don't just easily let anyone take our hearts without a fight. I've never even fell in love, but I always wanted to and I'm determined too. I was always the soft mushy one. The one willing to just be a passionate dummy when I get a guy. But wanting to be better than everyone else, especially Nia... always gets in the way...