Secrets and Lies

Lies are something they tell us, and after a while, we believe them to be true. Everyone has a secret; it's whether we want to reveal the said secret. Secrets are nothing but lie to cover up the truth.

It's been a few days since my outburst in the kitchen. I barely say two words to my parents. I know I may be unfair about the situation, but they are my parents. They are the people who protect you no matter what. Maybe at some point, I'll understand their reasoning. But I was letting my anger get the best of me.

I distanced myself from everyone, not because I was avoiding them. Okay, I was avoiding everyone, but I needed time to think about everything. It was so much information thrown at me, and I was still trying to wrap my head around it.

I went to the park to clear my head away from everyone. I even turned off my phone to avoid any interruptions. I needed time.

Looking off into the distance, I sat there when someone put their hand on my shoulder, making me jump out of my seat - Frazier.

"Whoa! It's me," he reassured me.

I glared at him and sat down in a huff. He took a seat next to me.

"What are you doing here, Dylan?" I asked, not in the mood to deal with his jokes.

"I came to talk since apparently, you're treating us like a pariah," he mentioned, throwing my words back at me.

Those words made me cringe. Not too long ago, I felt the same way as them. I let out a collective sigh.

"Sorry," I apologized to him.

He looked ahead.

"I needed some time alone to think. I still can't believe my parents kept this secret and lied to me. They're my parents, and I feel betrayed," I explained.

"Yep," he said to me.

"I can't even stand to be in the same room with them, knowing this affected my relationship with Ryan and Elena. I know I'm selfish, but I can't help it," I reasoned.

"Alex, we all keep secrets and lies. Hell, I've been doing it for years," he admitted to me.

"You mean, with your dad?" I asked him.

"Yeah, sometimes it gets hard to cover the bruises and coming up with creative excuses, but we end up lying to ourselves along with everyone else. Don't you think your parents were embarrassed enough with what they did that they were afraid they would lose your love?" He asked me.

"They're my parents; they wouldn't lose my love no matter how much they screwed up. When you love someone, you love them unconditionally because that's what you do," I explained.

"Exactly, they may not be perfect, but they are still your parents," he reminded me.

"I guess," I sighed.

"There's no guessing about it. Your parents are your parents. Love them as they love you, and that starts with forgiveness; first yourself, then them. Don't do it for them, but for yourself," he said to me.

We stared ahead. Frazier made a hand gesture, and I looked sideways at Frazier as he whistled.

"So, how much does everyone hate me?" I asked him.

"They don't hate you. Although you may need to eat crow," he grinned. I punched him in the shoulder.

"I don't think anyone wants to talk to me, especially Ryan. He must hate me," I sighed.

Someone leaned down and whispered into my ear, "Hate is such a powerful word. I would say your boyfriend isn't happy about the situation, but he knows it's not your fault, and he loves you."