Chapter Twenty Five

Watching Rhys attach his squirming bait to his fishing hook kind of kills the flirty mood, if I'm honest. "Um, you're going to attach the bait to my hook, right?" I ask with a taut grimace, actually shuddering at the thought of having to do it myself.

Smirking, Rhys shakes his head. "Nope, you're on your own, baby." Then he laughs, knowing how much I am struggling to share the boat with live and smelly maggots.

I shudder again, knowing that I am now going to have to actually hold one between my fingers. I'm not going to wimp out and get him to do it for me. It's because of the very reason that Rhys thinks I won't do it, that I absolutely will. As much as I hate the disgusting and wriggly things, I want to wipe that smirk from off his face and impale a stupid maggot on my hook. Besides, I have the most glorious of panoramic views to help me through it. I need to fully embrace this moment of being in a cute little boat and floating on the magnificent Echo Lake—I will bait up and I will catch a fish.

With a jerky hand, I choose which lucky larvae I shall sacrifice first. Swallowing hard, I reach in and finally have one being held firmly between my shaky fingers. Rhys is laughing behind me, I honestly could scream, it feels that gross. Choosing not to scream and to totally ignore a sniggering Rhys Ryan, I somehow manage to pierce the maggot onto my hook. Feeling a little queasy, I hook the next one with nauseous precision. After successfully doing two (and not actually fainting) I soon have a neat little row of punctured maggots on my killer hook. Holding it up to show Rhys, my smile is smug and my chin is high. He nods approvingly, gifting me with a rewarding little wink. Thoroughly pleased with myself, I wait for him to help me to cast out. Sacrificing larvae is one thing, casting out is quite another. When I watch Rhys do it, he makes it look so effortless and simple. The boat barely rocked as he did it; casting out his line across the beautifully still and quiet lake. Placing his rod into a boat rod holder, he carefully makes his way over to me. I am absolutely terrified to properly stand up in the buoyant boat, scared that I'll move too much and topple us over. Taking hold of my hand, Rhys gestures for me to be brave and to stand. As I do, my lack of balance causes the boat to precariously sway from side to side, which causes me to lunge forward and cling onto Rhys for dear life. "I've got ya." He confidently assures me as he steadies my balance in his protective arms. "I want you to carefully turn around and then slowly pick up your rod. Keep your movements really slow and steady." His hands are low on my hips now, holding me still.

Reluctant to fully let go of Rhys, I cautiously turn but keep hold of him with my left hand, which amuses him no end. "I think this might be a good time to tell you that I was the girl who once completely took out two boys I was friends with during a cycle ride...balance really isn't my thing."

Rhys carefully stands behind me again, holding his hands on my hips and squeezing them with his fingers. "Just use those sexy hips of yours to keep yourself steady." His voice is deep and dominant, his breath hot against the back of my neck.

Looking down at where his masculine hands lay, my lips start twitching with a sassy smile. "You think my hips are sexy?"

His cheek comes close to mine. "Very." Comes his low and seductive reply.

Standing triumphantly tall, I slowly align my hips to balance myself as I look out to the reflective lake with a growing smile. "My hips are quite partial to yours, too." See? I'm finally managing to have flirty fun in a boat with Rhys Ryan, some maggots, and a fishing rod for company.

Pressing the front of his body to the back of mine, he knows he is deeply affecting me. Enjoying every single second of his closeness, I bring my shoulders back slightly to eliminate any possible space between us. Rhys then shows me how to hold my rod correctly with his deft fingers touching me in the most sensual of ways. When he moves back, my content body moves with him. When his upper body carefully leans forward, I do that too. We seamlessly cast out together, almost conjoined as we do. I watch as the fishing line reaches right across the clear and shining lake, knowing that I couldn't have done it without Rhys. "Thank you." I quietly say, glancing sideways at him.