Chapter Thirty Five

The more Rhys drinks, the more sober I become. For reasons only known to himself, he is numbing each and every one of those reasons with alcohol. I think he's gone into self destruct mode and I am scared. He doesn't really want to be here but doesn't want to leave. He hates that he feels the way that he does but is powerless to stop feeling it. He's emotionally mixed up and with an audience and far too much alcohol; it's a killer combination.

Needing to do something about it, I quietly ask everyone to stop getting him drinks. He's had more than enough of Jack Daniels and vodka. He's now barely able to sit, let alone stand. "Rhys? Maybe we should think about going?" I ask in a placating tone, not wanting him to feel like I am mothering him.

"Nooooooo! Home is for pussies!" He loudly declares, trying to hug me but nearly slides off his seat.

Will can see for himself that his friend is in a right mess and joins me with my worries. "Dude, I think Clara is right."

"Nooooooo! Home is for pussies!" Rhys loudly declares again, smiling only to himself. "I need another drink!" He's now demanding more alcohol.

Whispering to Will, I decide to just get him some iced water. "I'll be back in a mo, I'm just going to grab some water."

"Good idea." Will smiles before looking back at a very slumped Rhys.

At the bar, I anxiously wait to be served. Cameron comes up behind me, wearing the same shade of worry that I wear. "He's not in a good way, is he?"

With a solemn shake of my head, I regretfully answer. "No, he's not. I'm just getting him some water because he's refusing to leave." I nervously bite down on my lower lip, feeling guilty and upset that I've let him drink as much as he has. "The night started off well but I knew that Rhys wasn't ready for this...he's too torn apart because of Maci."

Cam understandingly nods. "For years now, Maci has been slowly ripping him apart. Now that she's died, I think Rhys doesn't quite know how to feel. Guilt. Relief. Hate. Or sadness." The soft inflection in Cameron's kind voice makes the full force of the tragedy hit me once again, and when it hits, it hurts. Before I have time to stop it in its tracks, I am crying. Still a little worse for wear myself, the alcohol has lowered my ability to keep all of my increasing emotions in check. "Clara, don't cry." Cam is cuddling me against him, trying to offer me a bright side to the miserable situation. "Rhys is nearing his rock bottom, but from there, he will claw his way back and he will claw his way back to you." Squeezing me hard, his tone is gentle and sacrificing. I know that Cam likes me but he respects how I feel about Rhys, and ultimately, he respects Rhys.

"What the hell is this?" Barely able to stand and heavily slurring, Rhys is staring at us both with half-lidded eyes.

Cameron slowly removes his right arm from where it was on my slumped shoulder. "Clara was just a little upset, that's all." His answer is quick and confident.

Swaying, Rhys blinks at us with obvious inebriation. "Really? Well, if Clara really is that upset...maybe she should talk to her boyfriend, that's me by the way." He taps Cameron on the top of his arm before tapping himself in the chest. "Instead of the first guy to show her some inappropriate attention." Rhys's words and his stare on me cut like a blunt knife.

Cam is just as quick to defend me. "That's enough, Rhys."

Trying to square up to him, Rhys stumbles forward. "Enough of what?"

"You know what." Cameron refuses to back down but when his eyes flick across to mine, he sees how afraid I am. "Listen, Rhys, I know you're going through some awful shit at the moment, but don't take it out on those who care about you."