Chapter Thirty-Three

The heroes shifted to be standing in front of me, forming a human wall between me and Fury. The tention in the room was palpable. Natasha and James were holding handguns at their sides, their index fingers hovering just over the trigger. Steve leveled a hard stare down at Fury. Clint had pulled out his baton and stood next to Thor. Sam was next to James, shifting his weight between his feet. Banner was the closest to me, just next to Tony. He was the only one who looked nervous. Tony pushed me behind him and he and Banner shifted to further shield me from Fury. I placed my hands on his back and knotted my fingers in the fabric of his shirt.

"How did you find us here?" Steve asked, his voice cold and even. Fury shifted his gaze from me to Steve.

"Take it easy soldier. I'm not here to hurt anyone," Fury said.

"That sounds familar," Tony growled, reaching back and gripping my hand in his. He didn't move at all, just squeezed my hand in his tight. Fury's harsh gaze locked on Tony. Tony didn't back down, but squared his shoulders to hide me from Fury further.

"Still broken up about that are we?" Fury asked, raising his eyebrows at Tony.

"You're goddamn right," Tony hissed, he shifted forward like he was going to attack Fury. I pulled on his shirt to keep him from moving.

"What is it that you want?" Steve asked, drawing attention away from Tony and I and to himself. Fury's gaze lingered on us for a moment before shifting over to Steve.

"I heard you were close," Fury said.

"How?" James asked. Fury looked over at him.

"You're not the only spies in the world," Fury said.

"Well, how or why doesn't really matter to me. Whatever it is, the answer is no," Tony snarled.

"I can be very persuasive," Fury hinted, taking a step forward. Tony took a step forward and pushed my further back from him. The heroes in front of me shifted to block all paths to me. James and Natasha raised their guns to aim them on Fury. Clint spun the baton in his hand and shifted back to be closer to Banner, "Touchy."

"Come on Fury, tell us what you want," Natasha said. Fury looked at her carefully.

"You won't shoot me," he said.

"She might not, but I will," James said, his gun clicking. Fury shot an exasperated glance at James.

"Steve. Tell your boy to stand down," Fury said.

"Well you see, Buck's had some trauma and is hard of hearing sometimes. But I might be able to convince him if you tell us why you're here," Steve hissed. Fury shot him an annoyed glare. Fury took a moment before taking a deep breath and searching out my eyes.

"I never wanted what happened to you, to happen. They were not supposed to hurt you. And I wanted to tell you personally that I've taken care of Kalahan," Fury said. Everyone was silent for a long moment. No one really knew what to say. Natasha was the first to move. She dropped her gun to her side with a sigh.

"Well damn, I'm just mad it wasn't me," she huffed.

"And that's all you want?" Sam asked, his voice still on edge.

"That and I was curious on your progress," Fury said.

"Curious," Tony huffed. I moved my hand up to his shoulder and tightened my hold on him. He turned to look at me, his face harsh with annoyance. I slipped my hand from his and brought myself closer to him until I was basically standing next to him.