Chapter Forty-Three

The elevator doors slid open to the familiar penthouse foyer. A soft light drifted down the hallway, followed by the light clinking of ice and glass. I pushed myself out of the elevator and ran down the short hallway and into the living room. I paused quickly and looked around for the bar. Tony was hunched over the bar, a half empty bottle of whiskey was to his left and a glass rested right in front of him. He wasn't looking at me but his hands were resting on the bar and his head was hung. His knuckles were white from the grip on the bar but they were bruised and red like he'd just finished a fight. 

     "Tony," I hiccuped, suddenly overwhelmed by tears. Tony's body went rigid, but he didn't even look up. It was almost like he wasn't sure if he had actually heard me or if his mind had made it up. His jaw flexed before he finally forced his face up to look at me. His face froze as his eyes raked over me slowly. He looked like he hadn't slept in days and he was suddenly out of breath. 

     "Lucy," he breathed. He pushed himself off the counter and rounded the bar. I was already running toward him by the time he was in the free space between the bar and the wall. I threw myself at him, wrapping my arms around his neck and pulling him down toward me. His arms went around my waist automatically, without any hesitation, and he buried his face in my neck, "Oh sweetheart, is it really you?" he breathed into my hair, nuzzling his nose into my neck. 

     "It's me, Tony," I whispered into his hair. He pressed his mouth to my skin and held it there for a long time. 

     "What are you doing up here? I thought you were still mad at me?" Tony breathed, bringing his face to the side of my head and pressing another kiss to my hair. 

     "I was-I am," I leaned back from him and brought my hands up to his face, the note and the diamond were still in my hands. Tony's eyes studied my face carefully, all his emotion carefully guarded in them. His fingers caressed my hips, "but I came home and found your surprise," I said, bringing the diamond and note down for him to see him. 

     "Yeah, J told me you guys were looking for it and I thought that maybe I could help," he said slowly, trailing off. 

     "When did you get this?" I asked, bringing my hands back to his face. 

     "I got it this morning, but I found it yesterday," he said quietly, avoiding my eyes. Instead, he focused his attention on the space between us, his fingers nervously fidgeting at the hem of my pajama shirt. 

     "Why didn't you tell me?" I breathed. He swallowed hard before answering me. 

     "You told JARVIS that you didn't want to talk to me, so I didn't want to force you," Tony said quietly. I passed the diamond and the note over to the bar and set them down. I pressed my palms to his face, feeling his jaw clenching under my hands. 

     "Tony look at me," I whispered. He finally brought his eyes up to mine and looked at me. "Tony, you didn't have to do this. This had to have cost you a fortune! How did you pay for this?" A light smile spread across his mouth. 

     "Sweetheart, I have $12.4 billion. And I would spend every cent of it for you if you wanted it," he muttered. My heart swelled and I swallowed the tears that were rising in my throat. 

     "I don't want your money Tony," I whispered back. Tony smiled again and breathed out a laugh. 

     "I know you don't," Tony muttered, his fingers pressing against my hip. "But I knew that you would find a way to find it somehow so I figured it would be easier, and more legal, if I just bought it," Tony said. I laughed lightly and leaned my forehead against his shoulder. 

     "What's wrong Mr. Stark, don't want to break me out of prison again?" I asked. His arms went around my waist and he pulled me closer to him. 

     "If I can keep you out of danger, I will," Tony said, placing a kiss to my temple and letting his lips linger there. 

     "Tony,"

     "Sweetheart, I am so sorry for what I said. I didn't mean any of it. You have to believe me, Lucy. I don't think you're annoying-even if you are stubborn. I love you. I love everything about you and I'm so sorry," Tony whispered into my skin. I pressed my hand to his chest and pushed back lightly. 

     "Anthony," I started, taking a deep breath. "Listen to me, I need you to understand something. I don't need you to follow me around and clean up any mess that I make. I'm a big girl. Any mess that I get myself into, I can get myself out of. I don't want you to think that I need you to save me. If you do, great. But I don't expect you to. And I don't make my choices based on the fact that you will save me. I'm with you because of Tony. Not because you're Iron Man or because you're a Stark. Do you understand me," I said firmly, bringing my hands up to his face. Tony studied my face carefully. He let out a shaky sigh and looked down at the space between us. 

     "I know you can Lucy. You're perfectly capable of handling yourself. But I like to help you," Tony muttered. I laughed. 

     "Well, you can help Tony. I'm not saying you can't. But I don't want to feel like you think that all you ever do is clean up after me and run around saving me," I said. Tony brought his hand up to cover mine. 

     "I don't think that sweetheart," Tony whispered, caressing the back of my hand with his thumb. I closed my eyes and leaned my forehead against his. We stood like this for a long time, not saying anything. "I'm sorry, sweetheart. Will you please come back?" he asked quietly. I hesitated for a long time before answering. 

     "Yeah, I'll come home," I answered, looking up at him. He opened his eyes and a smile broke across his face. He drew himself against me and pressed his mouth against mine. I melted against him. I'd forgotten how much I loved kissing him. 

     "Let's go to bed sweetheart," Tony whispered, finally separating from me. I nodded and before I could turn to walk down the hall, I was picked up and thrown over Tony's shoulder. A surprised squeal escaped my mouth and I gripped onto Tony's back. 

     "Tony!" I squealed out. He turned toward the hallway and walked down the hall as if nothing was wrong. 

     "What's wrong sweetheart?" Tony asked. 

     "Put me down Stark!" I laughed, kicking my feet. Tony laughed. Suddenly his grip lessened on my knees and I slid further down his back. I let out another shriek and grabbed onto his shirt. His hands were back on my knees and kept me from falling. His laugh shook me as we continued down the hallway. He pushed the door open for his room and kicked it closed with his heel. He dropped me on the bed haphazardly. I turned myself over and looked up at him. He was already crawling over the bed toward me. 

     "Tony, I thought we were going to bed?" I asked quietly, bringing my hands up to his face. Tony smirked down at me. 

     "I said 'let's go to bed', not 'let's go to sleep'," Tony smirked, bringing his face down and burying it in my neck. I laughed and curled my legs around his waist.