Prologue

"Mom why does it have to be this way?"

Sat on the porch of a dainty coffee shop  far from the many busy streets of New York, Silver feels like the world has betrayed and cheated on her.

Crystal looks over her crestfallen daughter, her heart breaking at how a moment ago it's as if she was going to get her world back but was taken from her just as quick.

She reaches her hand to her daughter and held it ever so gently.

"When a love is true, it finds its way back. It is eternal, it is always itself and stands the test of time." She says loaning her daughter strength through her words.

"So it's true- when all is said and done, grief is the price we pay for love." Silver mutters under her breath, looking down her ring defeated.

Her blue eyes although dull is shining against the welled up tears in its streaks of different hues of blue.

"But he's here. He's back and that's all that counts" she continues, turning her ring left and right lightly.

Crystal looks over to the road, watching cars passing thoughts centered on the pain her daughter is feeling.

She feels them too, in the core of her heart she feels every pain Silver is going through.

"Honey, I'll be there for you every step and every time you trip. I just want you to hopefully recognize where the grief for love ends and when the grief for pain begins." She says in a heavy voice closing her eyes slowly.

Silver holds her hand tighter and nods.

"I'll remember" She replies boring her eyes into her mother's

***********

White walls. All he sees are white walls.

He stares at the monitor with his eyes but nothing else follows, his neck held in place and his body impaled.

He hears faint chatters between his mother and the doctor.

His heart is heavy, if not a little angry. He feels helpless and could not understand a thing.

Why he only sees white walls and why nothing else followed when he tries to move.

He slides his eyes to the side and see his sister sitting beside him holding his hand.

"You. I know you" he says croakily, even speaking was odd for him after all of the time he was unconscious.

Gemma's face break into a tiny smile.

"I know you too" she says laughingly.

Ryder lets out a single laugh and just stares at his sister's face- one that he hasn't seen in years, or so he knows.

"I hate these walls" he says mindlessly as he slides his eyes around the room.

Gemma follows his gaze pulling her lips to the side as if in thought.

"They're not that bad. I mean they're white-" she says with a tinge of confusion.

Ryder's lip pulls to the side in a sad defeated smile.

"Yeah- it's just- I hate that I'm here..." he trails almost to a whisper.

Gemma looks over to him worriedly, her eyebrows furrowed deep.

"...like this" he finishes closing his eyes ever so slowly then a single tear trickles down his cheek.