10 - Role

The sound of the laptop's ringing echoes through my bedroom. I reach in and clicked on answer, immediately a couple of split screens appears showing Scoot and Jeff on the other.

"Anyone care to explain why we might be getting sued?" I asked in a monotonous tone.

"It's the family chatter with the media about the incident. We have been silent about what happened but they didn't do the same. Besides you didn't want to know about media news" Scoot answers trailingly.

"What are they chattering about? Their son shot me. Are they proud?" I bit back with a humorless laugh.

"They're accusing us of nonsense things. It's nothing" he answers before anyone could say anything.

"What exactly happened that night do we know who he is?" I asked my anger starting to prickle faster and faster.

They both visibly grew uncomfortable right after hearing my question, Scoot gives a gulp as he readjusts his collar.

But nobody speaks up all their eyes start descending down the floor.

"It's gonna happen one way or another Scott. It's just a matter of time" Jeff says in a careful tone.

Scoot lets out a deep exhale and looks straight to the camera as if establishing an eye connection.

"He wasn't exactly a stranger to us... I mean, we've been monitoring him for weeks leading up to that night" He finally lets out as if every word was painful for him to utter.

My eyebrows furrow and I look up in impatience at how Scoot just rides merry go round about the subject but he won't budge as if his words stuck on his mouth and won't let them come out to the open.

He lets out a sigh and readjusts on his seat while shaking his head left and right as if in disbelief.

"You've hired a private investigator to track him, he was a suspect for a stalking incident your teams encountered" Jeff says simply.

Both me and Scoot look over to him with two different kinds of surprise.

"Why would I have a stalker followed? Getting a stalker is pretty basic stuff" I said creasing my eyebrows in confusion.

"Silver had a stalker scare where a man sent her a package with threats. You were alarmed about it and didn't want to just leave it for the police to handle and you didn't tell anybody you hired an investigator but Hazel. " Scoot suddenly cuts in.

I let out a laugh of disbelief.

"So we didn't actually have any proof it was actually him who sent that package and he just so happen to be there-" I paused, my hands folded in a tight ball.

"Shot him four times at gunpoint- Ha! No wonder I'm being sued" I said laughingly as I wrap my head around the situation.

"We did not shoot him because we saw him there Ryder. Security was running towards you two brawling. Nobody knew what was happening exactly or that it was that serious, they fired at him after he fired at you." Scoot said defensively.

"Their story was you got on a fight with him when he said he wanted to see Silver cause he was a fan, they're accusing you of attacking him and threatening to kill him so he defended himself." Jeff chips in.

My mind is running wild at how absurd the whole situation is.

"Why would anyone believe that?" I said in a complete loss.

Both of them hesitate but Scoot heaves out a breath.

"You don't exactly have a very stable few months before this happened" He said flatly.