viii. Reunited

[➵]

[➵]

Fear.

An emotion not often felt by the bird of fire rain through her veins like ice. She wasn't afraid of death because it was temporary. A suspended state of being that felt numb and void, before she was brought back vividly into the world. Reborn to live a life that would never cease to end. She wasn't afraid of what he would do to her because she could always numb away the pain like it never existed. It wasn't the physical pain that scared her, it was the emotional storm he would create. Niklaus was a forest fire, one she could not put out, a fire that would burn so strong it would consume her.

He could make her lose control of the very thing she kept tucked away.

The Dark Phoenix.

Hayley immediately took action. "We have to get her out of here." She said as she grabbed Melanie's shoulder. "I don't care what happened in the past. I won't let him put a finger on her." She continued authoritatively. Klaus wasn't getting within fifty feet of her if Hayley had her say. Rebekah froze before stepping in front of Melanie protectively. "Well than preggy." She said while nodding towards the figure that had just appeared next to the pile of bodies. "Let's see how that fares out between you and your baby daddy."

"You all never cease to amaze me." Klaus began as he inspected the dead vampire bodies. He appeared collected on the surface but Melanie could feel the rage bubbling inside of him. "Where do I even began? The dead vampires? Or the cowardly bird you all have been hiding from me?" He ended his questioning with a malicious glare at Melanie. She visibly stopped breathing when their eyes met.

"She wasn't hiding." Hayley barked breaking the awkward eye contact. "She was minding her business. Take a hint."

Klaus glared at her. "Business? And what business did you have in the Quarter?!" He yelled pointing at the bodies. "This is why I told you never to leave the house. Werewolves are banned in the Quarter. I had a plan, and your little nighttime stroll put it all in peril!" He yelled as Rebekah took a steps towards a vampire on the brink of death. "Leave him!" He commanded causing her to freeze. "You've done enough, don't you think? Leaving a trail of bodies like a road map to my door?" He said as he continued to chew her out. Rebekah opened her mouth but was quickly silenced by Niklaus. "Leave." He said eyes locked on Melanie. "I'll deal with your disarray of blunders later. There are some things... Melanie and I need to discuss."

     "No!" Hayley roared. "You won't lay a hand on her." She yelled taking a step towards him, eyes on the verge of glowing. Rebekah grabbed her arm. "Let the kids sort it out." Internally she always had hope that they would figure it out and that things would go back to the way they used to be. One big happy sadistic family. Melanie stared at him silently. There were things that could be considered physic circuit breakers that lay in place in her mind, to stop her from accessing her full potential; essentially to protect the world from her, to also protect her from herself. She knew Klaus would not only test them, but break them. Like he'd done once before. Melanie feared the consequences of betraying him but it had been the only way to save herself from the monster he had created.

     Before Hayley could protest Rebekah had already whisked her away, leaving Melanie a final parting thought: "I'll be within earshot, if things get messy I'll be right there. Love you." Hayley's thoughts being along the same lines but much more colorful. Melanie slowly looked up at Klaus. His eyes held such intensity and animosity. His thoughts raced a mile a minute and she heard them all the good, the bad, and the ugly. The very ugly. He envisioned the many ways he could end her physical life and trap her in a never ending game of rebirth and death.

     "I suppose you want me to say I'm sorry, but I'm not." She finally spoke after the images of him beheading her flitted across his mind. "The truth is... I looked at the past with rose colored glasses. Even tweaked a few things to make it seem like you weren't the monster you truly are." She stated monotonously.

     "You loved me." Klaus spat. The reality of their situation was much more than what she let on to Elijah but more so Rebekah. There were things they didn't know about what had truly transpired centuries ago. The only one with the closest picture was Elijah. It was the reason she kept him around, he had knew some of her darkest secrets but still loved her anyway. Melanie narrowed her eyes as shimmer of anger crossed through her eyes. "Did you really love me? Or did you love dark me more?" She shot back. Niklaus hands twitched as the urge to choke her provoked him. He'd never felt love or hate so strongly before.

     "You already know the answer to that." He said through gritted teeth. He was torn between the desire to rip her apart or rip her clothes apart. He hated the fact that she even still had a hold on him all these centuries later. That even though he had every right to want her dead, he didn't.

     What he didn't know was that the feelings were mutual. All of them.

     "What I know is you want to hurt me, because I hurt you, because you took advantage of me." She said back. "What did you do to Elijah?" She demanded. Melanie tried to read his mind but was dumbfounded when it came up blank. Niklaus smirked at the shock and anger forming on her face. "You see traitorous bird, I learned a little trick or two. Like how to only allow you to see what I want you to see." He said taking a causal step towards her. "Hubris is a terrible thing, love. But familiarity will be your downfall."

     Melanie barely had time to react before his hand was around her neck. She tried clawing it off of her but it proved futile. "Since your so worried about poor little Elijah, you should be pleased to know that I gave him to Marcel. Hand delivered in his own personal box." He rattled off sarcastically. Taking satisfaction in the physical and emotional pain he was causing her. "Too bad you won't be around to save your little pet." He whispered before snapping her neck, reveling in the sickening crunch it made and watching as her body went slack.

" He whispered before snapping her neck, reveling in the sickening crunch it made and watching as her body went slack