xx. Baby Bruja

[➵]

[➵]

     Melanie sighed, letting out a deep breath as she exhaled. Stressed was an understatement for the bird. Not only had Elijah been given an unnecessary death sentence, but her personal relationship with Nik was in the gutter. So far remaining in the supernatural mix of New Orleans had been less than satisfying. It was even more frustrating knowing that her own lack of control over her emotions played an important role in the current drama. The only thing she sought at the moment was peace. Something that was rare and elusive around the Mikaelson's. So it was only a matter of time before she headed to a place that she hadn't been to in a while.

     Her sneakers padded across the floor gently as she came a dark dusty door. "Knock knock." She chimed pushing it open and peering inside. "You're fav avian has arrived." Melanie joked, a bit of melancholy behind her words. "Melanie?!" Davina cried out. It had probably been a week and a half since they seen each other, but it felt like months. Davina ghosted across the attic with speed fueled by her excitement. She flew into Melanie with open arms, crushing the ancient being with all the strength her dainty body could muster. "I missed you." Davina mumbled into the fabric of Melanie's shirt.

     Davina's unbridled emotions surged through Melanie. The psychical contact making it feel even stronger. It was a pleasant change to feel good energy radiating off of someone; as opposed to the negativity the Mikaelson's had been drowning her in. Melanie exhaled as the emotions hit her like a rush. "Missed you too, baby bruja." She replied, hugging Davina back. Davina pulled back. Her eyes scanning over Melanie briefly before noticing the hand print around her neck, the mud caked on her shoes, and how conflicted she looked. "What happened to you?" Her elation quickly changing to concern. Melanie rolled her eyes as she walked away from Davina and towards the painting sitting on display.

     It was familiar. Covered in shades and hues of red, and gold. One glance and Melanie knew it was the painting of her rebirth. Strong emotions surged through her but she suppressed them, turning to face Davina again. "Klaus happened." She replied but Davina was focused on something else. Her attention was focused on Melanie's proximity to the painting. Whenever Melanie looked at it she felt her emotions go all over the place, but she didn't know why. Simply brushing it off as symptom of ptsd from having died and being brought back traumatically. Her eyebrow quirked at Davina's train of thought.

    "What's wrong with the painting? Why is your heart racing?" Melanie inquired eyeing her suspiciously. Something wasn't right, and suddenly Davina had gotten good at clouding up her thoughts. Thinking a million things at once so it was hard for Melanie to dive through them all. The only thing that was clear to her was that it had to do with the painting. Intentionally she took a step toward it. Davina immediately rushed towards her. "Listen, just stay away from it! Okay?" Davina pleaded as Melanie held up a hand, using telekinesis to halt Davina's movements. Melanie raised a brow. "You telling me to stay away from it, only makes me want to go near it even more." She replied looking at it again. Her eyes narrowing at the way her emotions fluctuated.

     Anger slowly bubbled up inside of her drowning out Davina's fear. "You didn't.." She hissed looking between the two as she started putting the piecies together. "I had too, it was the only way." Davina cried, her big blue eyes becoming so expressive as water filled them. "I trusted you." Melanie growled tightening her hold on Davina. "You were going to kill me. It was the only way." She sobbed, making Melanie even angrier. Annoyed she let Davina go, knowing that she'd kill her if she didn't. Davina dropped to the floor, holding onto her ribs as she let out ragged breaths. "After you came back, and I had to dagger Elijah again. You went crazy. You started transforming and the only way to calm you down was to take it all away. Melanie you feel things so intensely and vividly. I had to take it away to make you calm down. I had to stop you from going on a rampage." Davina explained in-between heavy sobs. The last thing she wanted to do was lose Melanie. She was her only friend.

     Melanie paced with clutched fists. "Why did you lie to me? Did you think I couldn't handle it? Did you think it would set me off all over again?!" She yelled coming to a halt. "I wasn't sure." Davina cried. "So not only did you tamper with my emotions, but you made me forget. I could've forgiven you if you'd been honest with me. Hell, I would've thanked you! But do you have any idea how much it messed me up? How out of my mind I felt? Do you have any idea what it feels like, to have every fiber of your being screaming at you to jump over the edge but you just can't?" Heated was an understatement. Tampering with people's emotions and making them forget things, went against Melanie's morals. It was already invasive enough that she had access to others thoughts and emotions. There had to be line that shouldn't be crossed- or she'd turn back into the version of herself that she never wanted to be again.

     "Please don't hate me." Davina whispered looking through her fingers with tear ridden eyes. Melanie looked around intensely. Trying to rationalize with the good angel and the bad angel hovering over her shoulders. On one hand, Davina wasn't even supposed to have access to powers like that. If she got rid if them, she wouldn't be able to do it again. Yet, she'd purposely went behind Melanie's back. With great power comes great responsibility and it was clear Davina only possessed one. "Listen to me." Melanie demanded gaining her undivided attention. "I don't hate you." Davina let out a sigh of relief but Melanie quickly shut her down. "But I am horrifyingly livid and most importantly disappointed in you." Davina wasn't sure what was worse, being hated or having Melanie be disappointed in her.

     "It is obvious that you lack responsibility with the powers you have been unintentionally gifted. If you continue acting like this, I'll hand you over to the witches myself D. Do better." Melanie instructed. At the end of the day Davina was just a kid. A kid who needed to be disciplined and scolded just liked everyone else. It was the only way she'd grow into a better person hopefully. "I'm sorry." Davina mumbled eyes watering up again. Melanie sighed. Her night was three for three on being completely shitty.

"I forgive you little bruja. Now stop crying and give me a hug."