xii. Jealousy

[➵]

[➵]

Klaus sat across from Melanie with a daring expression on his face. His scorned lover left something like a sour taste in his mouth. She ignored him as she flipped through her book, legs propped up on the table as she briefly scanned the words. Elijah sat next to her leafing through one of his mothers grimoires, no doubt looking for something to give to Davina. Klaus had already tried to regain his brother's favor by offering him a pretty girl to feed off of. On the other hand he wasn't exactly sure how to regain the favor of his fallen bird.

"Drop off the face of the planet, never come back around, die possibly." She causally muttered off as his thoughts plagued her mind. She could feel his remorse but she knew better, he'd do it again if provoked. Klaus sat back in his seat and loudly turned the pages in his book. He was currently reading "A Posion Tree" by William Blake. "But clearly I'm asking too much of you. Apologies tend to work, only genuine ones of course. A bit of groveling wouldn't hurt. You have the tools, use them." She mumbled uninterested as she continued skimming through the words of the Jane Austen novel, Pride and Prejudice.

Their conversation was cut short by Rebekah entering the room. She was immediately displeased by the scene in front of her. "So, this is what you do the first time we're back together as a family? Vampire book club?" Melanie glanced up at Rebekah before returning her gaze back to the book. Niklaus on the other hand didn't even bother to look up. "Reading edifies the mind, sister. Isn't that right, Elijah?" Elijah finally looked up to acknowledge his sister. "Yes, that's quite right, Niklaus." Rebekah looked at Melanie and than the dead girl on the coffee table. "And your condoning this Melanie?" She shook her head before raising her book up. "It edifies, dear." Rebekah rolled her eyes. "And what's this business?" She said as she gestured to the dead girl.

Elijah paused before looking up at her. "This is a ...." He paused again as he tried to find the correct term. "Peace offering." He continued for lack of better term. "I presumed, after so much time desiccating in a coffin, that my big brother might be a bit peckish." Klaus said, explaining his ridiculous rationale. "And I explained to my little brother, that forgiveness cannot be bought. I'd simply prefer to see a change in behavior that indicates contrition, and personal growth." Elijah countered. "To see a change in behavior that indicates contrition, and personal growth." Melanie echoed causing Nik to roll his eyes at them both. "Not this nonsense." Elijah finished motioning to the girl. "Well, I couldn't very well let her go to waste, could I?." Klaus said with a sadistic grin. Melanie could feel the disgust rising to her mouth like bile in her stomach.

"Well, I suppose I'll go fetch the rubbish bin, because she's staining a two hundred-year-old carpet." Rebekah said passive aggressively. Elijah looked over to confirm that she was indeed leaking onto the carpet. "Ah, yes." He said nonchalantly. Before the conversation could continue Hayley walked into the room holding her belly. A small smile grew across Melanie's face as she looked at the pregnant wolf; wistfully wishing that one day it would be her. She continued into the kitchen causing Elijah to put the grimoire down and follow her out the room. Rebekah sighed before walking out in search of the garbage bin, leaving Klaus and Melanie alone.

Regret and jealousy emitted from Nik in strong waves as he watched his brother follow the wolf. It seemed his brother was always sticking his nose in Klaus's flowers, despite how withered they may be. "He's everything you're not." Melanie nonchalantly commented, as if it wouldn't set Niklaus off. "Pardon?" He questioned with narrow eyes. Melanie shrugged glancing from her book to him and refocusing on the book again. "Kind, generous, honest, noble, truthful, caring, etc." She rambled off. "And I have shown you none of those attributes?" Melanie rolled her eyes. "At one point." She said dryly. "But never when it mattered. You tend to rear out that monstrosity you call a soul." Melanie continued.

Nik stared at her blankly. The girl he'd been in love with for centuries spoke so lowly of him, it was enough to crack his pride. He sat back refocusing on his book as Rebekah returned and got rid of the body. A few moments later and she was on the floor scrubbing out the blood. "Poetry about poisoned apples from dead trees. Looks like someone's worried about impending daddyhood." She stated hitting the nail on the head. Melanie playfully scoffed but kept her attention on the novel. Klaus quickly shook his head. "Nonsense. Elijah's back. In his presence, all problems turn to pixie-dust and float away!" He said letting his jealousy show a bit. Rebekah smirked as she side eyed him and Elijah walked back into the room. "Strange, I don't recall any pixie-dust from the darkness of the coffin I was recently forced to endure." He said dryly as he flipped through his mother's grimoire.

"What are you doing with mother's spell book?" Rebekah questioned confused.

"Well, in exchange for my freedom, I promised the witch Davina that I would share a few pages from Mother's grimoire. To help her learn to control her magic. I thought we'd begin with a little unlinking spell." He explained being the clever little bean Melanie knew him to be. Rebekah shared a confused glance with Klaus before speaking again. "Wait, you want to use her to unlink Hayley from Sophie Deveraux?" An ingenious plan at the least. "Sophie brought us here under false pretenses! She doesn't just want us to take down Marcel and his minions, she wants to take Davina back. So, she yolked her own cause to ours, with magic threats and half-truths! Well, no more. As of now, our deal with Sophie Deveraux is null and void." He spoke. At his last sentence he looked directly at Melanie, implying her role in anything would be over as well. She nodded in agreement as both Rebekah and Klaus grinned. "Niklaus, I need you to come with me. I need five minutes alone with Davina, you need to make certain that I am not interrupted." He paused for a moment before pointing at Melanie and Rebekah. "Both of you stay here and watch Hayley."

Rebekah scoffed. "How did I get elected super-nanny?"

Klaus got up from the couch. "More importantly who put him in charge?"

// Melanie & Elijah are brotp but this is a Klaus fanfic. Mush coming soon.//