xix. Caroline Forbes

[➵]

[➵]

Melanie's solo mission had abruptly ended when she came across Hayley and Elijah in the woods. Hayley's sitting against the tree telling Elijah everything she's learned about her child's ability to sire hybrids when Elijah suddenly looks up. "Melanie." He says quietly as she walks towards them with a blank look on her face. "I'll be damned if Nik uses that precious ray of hope for such disgusting evil." She spits. Hayley immediately gets up and runs to her. "Melanie." She breathes into the hug. Melanie momentarily let's her anger fade to embrace Hayley. They hug for a minute before Elijah brings them back to reality. "We should take you home." He says softly causing them to break apart. "Are you serious? Home to what?" Hayley says getting worked up.

"Look, regardless of my brother's intentions, mine remain the same. I said that I would protect you, even, if need be, from Klaus himself." Elijah vows causing Melanie to nod. "I strongly second that." She says as Hayley looks between the two. "I can take care of myself. I've done it for a long time." Hayley speaks before walking away. Elijah and Melanie share a look before walking after her. They follow her to a shack where they smell Niklaus waiting inside. They step in and he tosses a dead body at their feet. "There you are! I see you've found our wandering stray. Perhaps you could shed some light on the situation. This-." He pauses to kick the body over. "Appears to be a hybrid." He concludes.

"His name was Dwayne." Hayley responds irritated. "Well, whoever it was, I didn't sire him. Any idea how is this possible?" Hayley's irritation becomes uncontainable as she stomps towards Nik. "As if you didn't know!" She accuses. Sensing the impending hostility Melanie grabs Hayley and holds her close to her. As Elijah steps in front of her acting as a shield between her and Klaus. "Ahhh, well, aren't you three fast friends? Oh, come on, then. What kind of horrible accusation have you conspired to levy against me?" He snaps. "Tyler Lockwood brought Hayley here to test a theory. That the blood of her child could be used to sire hybrids. He claims that you knew that. Futhermore, that you intended to use this knowledge to build an army." Elijah summarizes.

The hurt is evident on Nik's face as he looks between the three of them. His gazes lands on Melanie. "And you too, Melanie?" He asks. Melanie remains quiet. She's been given an all access pass to his mind and sees that he's actually innocent for once. She wants to defend him but she's still pissed about Caroline Forbes so she looks away, unintentionally confirming his guilt. "And, of course, you assume it's true. I mean, why else would I show interest in my own flesh and blood? A heartbroken little crybaby points his finger at me, and my own brother falls in line, eager to believe it! How quickly you believe the worst, especially when it comes from her." Klaus snaps.

"Oh, spare me your indignation. When have you ever demonstrated any kind of concern towards Hayley or her child, beyond your own selfish pursuits? And what was it you once said to me? "Every king needs an heir!"." He ends with a mocking impersonation of Nik. "My big brother, so, you doubt my intentions? Well, I can't say I'm surprised, standing next to the noble Elijah, how can I be anything but the lesser brother? A liar, a manipulator, a bastard." Niklaus responds finally voicing all of his inner turmoil. Melanie takes a step towards them, but pauses when she notices Nik walking towards Elijah. "That's all I am to you, isn't it? Rebekah and Melanie. And, judging by the way Hayley hangs on your every word, it's clear she feels the same way! No doubt my child will as well."

His words tear not only his brother but the bird behind him apart. She knew this kind of strife could've been avoided if she just spoke up. "Brother, if-." Elijah starts but he is interrupted by Nik. "You've said all that needs to be said, Brother." He says taking a few steps and holding his arms out in defeat. "I'll play the role I've been given." He continues turning to walk away. Melanie sighs letting her guard down when she suddenly tenses back up. "Nik, don't!" She yells rushing towards Elijah but Nik is faster and within moments he's savagely biting into Elijah's neck. Hayley starts screaming and running towards them. Nik steps back as Melanie grabs Elijah and holds him to her. Nik wipes Elijah's blood off of his lips.

"You three enjoy each other's company. You'll have much to bond over, once the hallucinations and dementia set in. Consider that bite to be my parting gift to you both." Nik says before leaving them to deal with the madness he's created.

[➵]

By the time Melanie's caught up to Nik he's siting at the bar in the Mikaelson Mansion drinking scotch. The fire is back in her eyes and the veins underneath her eyes are protruding heavily. "Are you out of your mind?" She yells sending the couch flying at him. Nik narrowly manages to avoid the couch being hurled at him. He instantly vamps out and runs towards her. She anticipates his move and disappears. Melanie reappears with the bottle of scotch in her hands. Klaus has barely any time to dodge as she throws it at him. The bottle connects followed by her grabbing him by the throat. She pins him against the wall tightly. "Why did you bite him?!" She screams furious.

"Why didn't you defend me?!" Nik counters. Melanie momentarily freezes, Klaus quickly senses her hesitation and uses it against her. Within seconds he's slapped her grip off of him and has reversed the tables so that he's choking her out. "I should've bitten you!" He snarls letting his fangs show as he gets dangerously close her neck. "Who knows how a bird would react to the jaws of a hybrid?" He sneers about to tear into her neck when she clutches the grip he has on her neck. His gaze dips to the ring still adorning her finger. Klaus is no doubt pissed but it's made him sober up a bit. He changes his mind on biting her and decides to choke her even harder. "Why?" He hisses as Melanie gasps out for breath. "Caroline Forbes." She manages to get out. "What?!" Klaus asks quietly. His grip loosens and his face returns back to normal.

Melanie's face returns back to normal, her big blue eyes meeting his widely. "When Elijah asked about what you'd done to Tyler. You're mind was filled to the brim with images of that stupid blonde. Caroline Forbes." She spits the name like it's a disease. "I heard and saw everything you were thinking about her!" Melanie continued. Klaus looks at her incredulously for a moment before laughing in her face, and letting her go as he did so. "Are you kidding me? You're jealous?" He asks as if it's the most ridiculous thing in the world. Melanie immediately regains to ability to breathe correctly. She glares at him as he makes fun of her. "Do you honestly think in your right mind, that I would've given you that ring- if I was still concerned by the likes of her?" He spits harshly.

Melanie eyes the ring moderately annoyed. "What else am I supposed to think? You were quite vocal with your thoughts." Nik sighs no longer in the mood to play games with her. Annoyed he begins walking back towards the bar. "Because of your stupidity and insecurity, Elijah is going to die. I hope you bode well with that, little bird." He says sourly before sitting down and finishing where he left off with his drink. "I'm finished with this." Nik states motioning between them with complete sincerity. Melanie glowers at the back of his head. Furious she slips the ring off of her finger and throws it at the back of his head before storming off.