Chapter 4 - A Troublemaker in Bianco Square

"Go straight that way," the policeman instructed firmly, placing his hands on his hips. "You can't miss the mess, pal!"

Rubbing his wrist, the young man before him silently nodded in compliance. He wasn't opposed to helping, but he didn't exactly like to be ordered around everywhere. After all, it was a little hard to be real friendly with the person who had just been dragging you around in handcuffs!

As Fludd had rightly predicted, they had come for Mario quick and early in the Delfino prison next morning. Still in the middle of an admittedly nice dream of home, he had awoken to the harsh clanging sound of the prison door opening. Not entirely wanting to leave his memory's pleasant embrace, he had lingered for just a moment and gotten a rather hard wake-up call on the shoulder from the warden. After a hurried breakfast Mario would rather soon forget, he had been hustled outside the police station at long last into the already-cooking morning. Despite the heat which he had expected of Isle Delfino, the sky didn't at all appear to match; although it was little past dawn, the sky was clouded over with a strange grayish cast, rendering the whole place around them shady and oddly dark-looking.

It was the last thing on Mario's mind at just this moment, though. The moment the handcuffs fell away and the fresh air hit his face, he instantly felt retransformed; finally, freedom! This was his tomorrow; now was his time to make things all back as they should be. The instant he was free he almost had to bounce up and down to keep from running off.

"Your first job's to get rid of all that ugliness," the policeman before him was saying. He said it a little spitefully, almost as if explaining to a naïve two-year-old. Mario inwardly sighed.

"Okay," he replied, eager to just get moving. He hadn't really moved his legs in over half a day, and he was starting to get rather antsy. On top of that, he was most eager to find the princess; she had to be around here somewhere. Surely she knew of his release, right?

Noticing that the rapscallion was barely listening, the policeman frowned. "And remember, we'll be watching you, pal," he informed firmly. "We'll know if you start slacking off!"

Mario nodded in what appeared to be obedience, and the pianta finally sighed and waved him along. "Get going! Clean up Bianco Square, and make it snappy!" Watching him go, he turned toward the deputy beside him and shook his head. "I swear, graffiti artists just make me so mad..."

~

The fresh taste of sea air mingled with the sound of gulls and people's voices up and down the market street as the morning's first business began to commence. It was the start of another busy day on the island; fruit vendors were opening shop beneath straw awnings along the wall of the overhanging building, and islanders in casual beachwear already strolled the streets leisurely. This place certainly did get off to an early start.

Passing underneath the stone arch connecting two buildings, a young man wearing a unique water pump on his back walked away from the police station and cast a sweeping glance over the unfamiliar world before him. True, he didn't know where he was going; but whoever said that was a problem?

As a human, he didn't exactly blend in; but then, neither did most tourists. He was shorter than the average pianta, so his vision was somewhat limited; and after a moment of seemingly fruitless searching he turned to the machine on his back.

"Fludd, do you see anything?"

"Market Street. The center of business on Isle Delfino, where the finest tropical fruits are sold. It is here that many piantas make their living. To the left is the East Plaza Shore, and up ahead take a right to reach Bianco Square and the Grand Pianta Statue. The tall building up on the left is the east bell tower –