Chapter 15 - Questions Old, Questions New

"Mario?"

   The mechanical voice rose over the crashing waves, splashing periodically into the stone wall below. The distant sounds of happy park-goers, still abuzz about the fantastic mecha monster show moments before, had long since resumed in the background. All in one moment peace had returned to Pinna Park - but the silence surrounding the hero of the day was nearly stifling.

Several long minutes later Mario still remained by the park's edge, sitting on the stone wall overlooking the sea behind the kiddie pool. It was quiet back here, despite all circumstances; and as he perched on the ledge looking down into the water he could see the dark, enormous mass below that had been the Bowser mech. The entire thing, save the head, had found a quick underwater grave. Well, perhaps it was for the better: there would be no mess to clean up.

   The park director hadn't found him yet since the monster's destruction, and Mario hoped to avoid that for a while longer. Spotting a tiny sliver of shore below just outside the wall, he pushed off and jumped down to the grassy sand.

   Seating himself slowly at the water's edge, Mario took a deep breath. He just needed a moment alone - a moment to think. In a few short minutes the foundation of his world had been rocked to the core, and he still couldn't quite process what had just happened.

   He doubted that he was still within the acceptable park boundaries, but Mario didn't care. From here, looking across the water towards the mainland, he could see several interesting things: two beaches, separated by a high rock wall that formed a couple of coves; a hodgepodge of buildings to the far right, presumably where Ricco Harbor and the plaza were; and rising above it all, mountainous green hills that culminated in a single enormous mountain in the direction where the criminal had fled. From here its cone-shaped form almost looked like a volcano.

   So that would be his destination then - eventually.

   Fludd, having long since gone unanswered, slowly tilted his nozzle towards the silent human. Once again the man's behavior was beyond comprehension, like a door that had suddenly changed its lock. Confused at the display, the machine attempted it again.

   "Mario, are you feeling alright?"

   The human shifted himself into a cross legged position, not seeming to care about the sand. It was a few seconds before he finally gave an answer. "I never noticed how much of Ricco Harbor hangs above the water," Mario said quietly, watching the distant shore. Even more confused, Fludd followed his gaze to the maze of metal catwalks just visible hanging over the harbor far away.

   "Yes, many of the supports and the helipad hang over the ocean." Sensing that something was underlying, Fludd ventured further. "But I do not believe the perpetrator took the princess  there."

   Mario shook his head and sighed, aghast. "I'm sorry," he said at last. "I know we need to get moving..."

   "Apologies are not necessary," Fludd answered in some surprise. "You are in charge, after all. Wherever you go I go."

   "Not that you have much choice, since you're tethered to me." Mario attempted a half smile, but it faded easily. Staring out again into the blue waves, he seemed to lose himself in thought.

   "I just can't believe that Bowser has a son," he murmured, more to himself than the machine.

   "Bowser," Fludd repeated. "You keep mentioning him; are you referring to the Koopa King?"

   "The very same." Blinking out of his reverie, Mario tried to glance back at him. "I guess you could say we're long time rivals."

   "Oh, of course," Fludd realized. "There have been many tales of you challenging his dastardly deeds in defense of your kingdom. I did not know if they were all true. Are you really hailed a hero on Yoshi's Island?"