Chapter 23 - The Manta Storm

A sudden feeling of unrest, sharp, quiet, yet perceivable, channeled through the plaza across Sirena Beach. Further away they could see the previously carefree pedestrians abruptly halt their seaside activity, look up, freeze and stare; then, almost in one motion, small groups began to run inland. In one accord pale-faced nokis and huffing piantas came migrating closer to the clearing as if in retreat from a surprise gale; there was no mistaking the look of alarm each wore. There also was the only man they knew to be in charge: Mr. Romano, Hotel Manager.

Standing near his elbow with her face shielded from imaginary sunlight, the angry pianta woman stared out at the moving crowds. Occasionally a scream or two rose up from the guests as they scrambled up the steps towards the outdoor huts, as if they were running from a monster.

"Well, what on earth is going on NOW??" She demanded. "Is this entire place deranged?!"

   "Huh? Deranged? W-what do you mean?" asked her husband beside her, slightly quivering like a thin palm tree.

   Still standing a short distance away, feet perched precariously close to the edge of the concrete, the short young human shook his head briefly. This place isn't the only thing that might be deranged around here, he thought to himself.

   He was primarily drawn to the sight of the strange glistening on the water. At first he remained calm, unlike the muttering piantas around him; it was impossible to know at first whether he should be terribly alarmed. But another moment soon confirmed the manager's fears.

"HE'S COMING!! He's coming...!!" the older pianta cried in terror. "The Shining!!"

And then in one moment, they all saw what he meant: the golden 'sunlight' they had all perceived on the water was moving without question, gravitating as if drawn by a magnet directly towards the sand. But within another second it became clear that it would not stop there.

A shapely shadow, a giant patch of spectral light was creeping along the land before their very eyes, like a ghost of the second dimension. It was probably wide enough to engulf the majority of the beach, as they could see now two winglike shapes stretch out from the shining surface as from the body of a wakening animal. At its front there was little indication of a head, save two long, fang-like tentacles that protruded before it. Trailing in its wake was a long, thin tail that appeared to slither along after it, making its identity as a creature hard to dismiss.

And now, it was sliding at a steady pace straight toward the wall.

"WHAT is going on...?" the impatient pianta woman groaned aloud, clearly not sharing the horror that her husband felt.

"Wh-What is that??" he stuttered, backing further away.

"...It's the gossamer ghoul! RUN!!" Mr. Romano shrieked suddenly, darting for cover behind a nearby palm. Before them, most of the rest of the beach's population had already followed suite: the nice noki couple, the piantas out enjoying the evening had disappeared; even the Doot Doot Sisters had run, followed by a panicked Tommy toting his guitar.

Now even the difficult pianta couple began to fall back, muttering different complaints to themselves; that left only one.

Only Mario.

Suddenly Fludd seemed to pick up the sense that they'd been left behind. Knowing better than to think his owner would abandon, the pump lifted his head and cried, "Mario! Look at its surface; it is almost like a projection!"

Eyes quickly scanning the apparition for what Fludd meant, Mario soon found he was right: the so-called 'gossamer ghoul' that had appeared from the sea appeared to be made of nothing but light, as they had observed; but now watching it slink across the courtyard, Mario noticed something else. It almost looked like a spotlight; a projection, shining down from straight above as if from an unseen satellite. At least, Mario would have to assume it was unseen; otherwise there would be no explanation for its consuming effect on the trees and ground around him other than the possibility of something otherworldly.