Chapter 25 - The Ghosts of Old Dolphic Town

"What is your definition of a problem, Mario?" Fludd wanted to know innocently from his perch on the man's shoulder.

   For a moment all was calm in Hotel Delfino; it became apparent there would be no answer to the pointed question. Turning away from the railing, Mario spun himself around and scanned the open third level. Nothing had exploded yet, at least within the last fifteen seconds; no one else had come screaming out of their rooms either. He took that as a sign that things were probably mostly fine.

   "Mario, the abnormal energy levels are fluctuating!" Fludd announced more seriously. "They might spread!"

   Mario tilted his head back. "They? You mean that energy is coming from the boos?"

   "Or something like it," the machine confirmed. "They would seem to be causing some of that strange activity I was seeing."

   Strange... I wonder what exactly it is he's picking up?

   Whatever he knew about booish magic, now wasn't the time to be pondering it. For a brief second Mario started to run forward, then just as soon stopped in his tracks.

   Obviously he had to do something — he'd technically just released the hotel's entire ghost population all over the building — but where did he think he was going to go? Those creatures could be anywhere, the stairs were still sealed off, and —

   In an instant Mario turned and charged up to the closest door. Pounding on it with his fist much harder than necessary, he stood impatiently and waited for a response.

   The dramatic noki lady opened it. "...You again?! What do you want?"

   Mario had no patience for her this time. "Did you see any boos pass through here?" he demanded.

   "Not since you put a hole in my wall five minutes ago." She crossed her arms.

   He shook his head. "No no, I — Wait a minute, I didn't put that hole there!"

   The woman raised an eyebrow. "Yes, look... if you don't need anything, would you mind leaving?"

   "But ma'am —

   It was lost when she closed the door in his face. Almost growling under his breath, Mario turned and let his blue eyes flash about the lobby.

   "Oh come on... this is important!" Not losing steam, he spotted another random door on the adjoining wall not far away and ran for it.

   For once Fludd didn't seem to understand the plan. "Mario, what is going on?"

   "Those things are loose, Fludd," his owner breathed. "People have to let me —

   A pianta woman with skin like a plump cherry opened the door for him.

   "Excuse me ma'am, have you seen any kind of paranormal activity in your room? Particularly boos passing through?" he got to the point.

   She appeared slightly taken aback. "Paranormal... what?? I haven't seen any —

   "I saw them go through all the walls, they should be here somewhere!" Without waiting for an invitation which he knew he likely wouldn't get, the brash human suddenly stepped forward, pushing his way almost effortlessly past her through the doorway. With a small yelp, the woman jumped back.

   "H-hey! What makes you think you can just waltz in here and poke about??" she cried, but made no moves to stop him. "What are you —

   "It's dangerous!" he replied a little too harshly. "Come on, aren't you getting anything, Fludd??" the young man resumed to ask seemingly no one.