Journal Entry #1

We fly above the sand. I see the Pillar of Autumn, and the Spartans are miles behind. Why do they get the credit when they're always late to the party? It doesn't matter, we land behind a few dunes and see thousands of Covenant troops outside of the Pillar. We have maybe ten Marines in our troop, and with my amazing luck I was picked to go up first. 

  I climb my way up a cliff with 75 pounds weighing me down on my back. My job is to set up a mortar at the midpoint of the cliff, so it can be remotely fired at the three Wraiths in front of the entrance.  I bet the Spartans will never acknowledge what we did to those Wraiths, and take all the credit when they kill 20 or 30 Grunts and maybe 6 Elites. Maybe.

  I pin the mortar up, but then I hear something fire. Something that wasn't the mortar. The cliff shakes and my harness snaps. I fall as I see the Pelican we landed in burst into flames. 

   I wake up at the base of the cliff, with the mortar still pinned and my legs feeling like jelly.  I barely have the ability to stand up, but I try. Then I notice something heavy on top of me. A rifle? A rock? A peice of metal from the Pelican? A body. One of my best friends lie dead on top of me.  The Covenant generals must think I'm dead too.  I need to use that to my advantage.