Nine

(___)= Name
(H/c)= Hair Color
(_)= First Letter Of Name

*

The water looked gray, mirroring the cloudy sky. A soft wind blew, blowing my (h/c) hair onto my face. Ethan sat down beside me.

"The boat is almost ready, we're leaving soon." He informed me.

I nodded, looking up to where Mark and Tyler were. "That's good. How's Amy doing?"

Ethan and I turned our heads to the blonde girl who was sitting with Chica. Her hair was a mess from what I could tell; she was probably pulling at it for the last few days. Kathryn was her best friend.

"I'm still upset about it. I can't even imagine how Amy is handling it." Ethan said.

"She'll get over it...eventually."

We went back to silence. It was comfortable, though. Ethan placed his arm around my shoulders, swinging his feet above the water. I leaned my head on his shoulder, closing my eyes.

"(___)."

I woke up with a start, lifting my head. Ethan was still next to me. A light rain had started again, bringing me back to the other night.

"Sorry to wake you." Ethan whispered. "But it's time to go."

He stood up, holding his hand out for me. I blinked a few times, still waking myself up, but took his hand. We walked to the boat together, Amy and Chica following closely behind.

Amy stared at me for a moment, before walking into the bridge where Tyler was. I frowned. Mark saw my expression and gave me a reassuring smile.

"Don't worry, Amy will forgive you. Tyler and I talked about it to her. She knows you could only save one of them, she just needs to accept what happened." Mark pulled me into an extremely tight hug.

"Thanks, Mark." I managed to let out, gasping for air.

Mark let go, letting out a laugh. He then turned away and joined Amy and Tyler in the bridge. Chica barked, running after him. Mark opened the door, closing it once Chica was inside. It was just Ethan and I again.

I rested my forearms on the railing, looking at the city we were about to leave. "Any clue where we're going?"

"Not at all." Ethan said, leaning his back on the rail . "Hopefully, somewhere safe."

I examined some of the buildings. Some were perfectly intact while others could fall apart any second. Seeing a large group moving, I leaned forward more, like it would help me see better.

A raindrop fell in my eye, causing me to pull back, and rub my eye. When I opened them again, the people were closer. Seeing the familiar hair, my stomach dropped. Sean.

"Ethan," I began. "Remember when I said there were people after us?"

Ethan raised an eyebrow, crossing his arms. "Yeah, why?"

I lifted my trembling arm, pointing to the group. Ethan turned around and lowered his arms. When he saw who was there, his face paled.

"Shit." He let out, gripping the rail tightly. His knuckles became white almost instantly.

I placed my hand on Ethan's, glancing at him. "Let's go inside, we'll tell the others we need to leave right now."

*

Rain slammed against the windshield. Tyler was steering the boat, all of us hoping we could find somewhere safer.

"How's everyone doing?" He questioned, his eyes never leaving the water.

"Not so good," Mark let out, covering his mouth with his hand. "I feel like I'm dying."

I made a disgusted face, looking to Amy instead of Mark. The two of us made eye contact for a moment before Amy broke her gaze. She had already lost one friend, and I did not want her to loose another.

I walked to her, crossing my arms awkwardly. "Hey."

She didn't look up or respond. I was still being ignored. I turned away for a second, seeing Ethan nodding at me.

"Look, words can't even begin to describe how sorry I am about Kathryn. I tried to save her, I really did." I began, not really sure what to say. "She had a...bear trap...around her leg. With how close the walkers were, our options were either cut off her leg or shoot her."

Amy looked at me, her eyes glossy. She still didn't say anything. I continued.

"I couldn't just shoot Kathryn, so we tried to cut off her leg. She told us to go and pushed me away. She knew she was going to die-" my voice cracked "she didn't want me to die too. I know you've known Kathryn a lot longer than I have so it will be a lot harder for you to get over. You may never forgive me for what happened, but I'm telling you, I did everything I could."

"Thank you." Amy whispered.

It was a surprise that Amy had said anything to me. She looked pretty tired. Everything I just said was probably hard for her to process.

"Why don't you get some sleep?"

"I probably should." Amy agreed. She looked around the room with everyone in it before nodding to herself. "I'll see you tomorrow."

Mark noticed Amy was about to leave the bridge and looked at me curiously. I gave him two thumbs up and he smiled, following Amy into the rain.

I let out a yawn and slid down the wall. Ethan looked at me for a moment then turned to Tyler. "Why don't you go to bed, Tyler. I can handle the boat for now."

Tyler gave Ethan a strange look but nodded. "Alright, thanks Ethan."

He got up and walked to the door, rain coming into the room as soon as the door opened. He shut the door again, leaving Ethan and I alone. Ethan sat down in the captain's chair, humming.

I couldn't help but stare at Ethan as the slight glow from the moon was on him. His adorable, round nose. His fluffy hair that still managed to keep its blue color, I always did wonder why it was blue. The beautiful green eyes which were always hard for me to look away from. And even the little blotches of acne covering some of his face, I didn't mind them at all.

To me, Ethan was perfect.

I removed my knife from the place it always was, my right pocket. Noticing a small tool box next to Ethan, I grabbed it, pulling out a screwdriver. I brought the tip of the screwdriver to handle of my knife, carving something.

(_) + E

When people carved something like that into trees or tables, I always did find it childish. But it just felt right for me to do. I ran my thumb over the carving and looked to Ethan one last time before closing my eyes.

*

I should have put this at the beginning but for anyone wondering, the bridge is the part of the boat where the captain sits. The part where people sleep is called the berth. I googled it cuz I'm dumb :P

Anyways please be sure to vote and comment! This fic is almost as 1K so that's pretty awesome, thank you guys!