Interpreting Draconis by dacro

Genre: Romance
Rating: Mature
Word Count: 11,015
Tags: AU Non-magical, deaf character, sign language, minor character death

Summary:

Draco, the Deaf son of a wealthy businessman, has always had the best of everything, including a habit for rapid signing and a reputation for having a short fuse. When his father disappears, the interpreters who have been on the receiving end of Draco's attitude and temper refuse to work for him. Enter Harry, our 'new on the block' interpreter with a heart of gold, exemplary skills, and a few secrets in his pocket.

Author's Note:

Deaf: capital D is used for someone who uses sign language as their primary means of communication, is involved in the larger Deaf community and follows collective cultural norms.

Thank you to djin7 or the vital brainstorming session, to the hd_worldcup mods for yet another opportunity to research and have the time of my life, to all my AU teammates for keeping morale up and to my beta army: saladbats, joanwilder, lusiology, thesamanthahope, kirinin and dracofiend. You are the best cheerleaders an author could hope for.

Quotes:

He scrambled off of me and hopped onto the floor. My pleasure, but if I get distracted somewhere along the way, remind me to bring the computer to breakfast.

What for? I asked, stretching a little as I reluctantly left the warm bed.

Well, I seem to have sacked my interpreter in order to promote him to 'boyfriend', so I have a few nicely-worded e-mails to send to the agency.

Do that, and they'll never believe they're from you.

As he chased me down the hallway, I was already forming a present for him in my mind. A new backing for his watch with an engraving that would add my mark to his life—Time is ours.

 A new backing for his watch with an engraving that would add my mark to his life—Time is ours

Cover Art by
kewilson