Background Secrets by Calai'di

Genre: Romance, Drama
Rating: PG-13
Word count: 172k
Tags: Hogwarts era, creature!fic, Veela!Draco

Summary:

What if Harry and Draco were really friends behind all the insults and fights with each other? When would it have started and where would it end?

Quotes:

Dear Malfoy,

I can't believe I'm writing to you, especially just out of the blue like this. I bet you're just as shocked though, so that's something. I really have no clue as to why I thought I should write, but it seemed like something to do.

Gah, I feel like I've gone insane.

I guess I just wanted someone to talk to since I've been forbidden from sending letters to my friends with my owl and they haven't sent me anything anyway. But you're not exactly a friend, are you? So maybe I'm not breaking the rules by sending you this.

I honestly don't expect a response to this, though even a list of insults would be interesting. Actually, you could send a Howler and I really wouldn't care. It'd be kind of funny to see the expressions on my aunt and uncle's faces if something suddenly started screaming from my room.

Wow, I have gone insane.

Anyway, you're welcome to write back, though I really don't see why you would.

Harry Potter (your most bitter rival)

He'd even considered never sending the letter, since it seemed he really had lost it and Malfoy was sure to tell him that if he responded. But he figured he had nothing to lose, and every bit of what he'd written was true (especially the part about seeing his relative's expressions if he did get a Howler), so he signed Malfoy's name on the front and gave it to Hedwig as soon as she got back from her nightly hunt.

 But he figured he had nothing to lose, and every bit of what he'd written was true (especially the part about seeing his relative's expressions if he did get a Howler), so he signed Malfoy's name on the front and gave it to Hedwig as soon as she ...

Art by ceremonially-unclean
|Deviantart