Prologue

His feet hit the cold gravel as he walked down the empty street of the silent neighbourhood. The sky above him was a dull blue, an orb of orange slowly peeking from behind the clouds.

The orb slowly rose into the sky painting it in different hues, colors spreading like wildfire. Soon the birds began to sing their song, welcoming the arrival of the sun and the new day, but nothing seemed to reach him.

All his eyes could see was the bright light that now burned into his corneas. All he could feel was the coldness of her body in his arms, a sharp contrast against his skin that seemed to be on fire.

A deep red spread across her blue shirt and her pale skin as her arms dangled by her side, lifeless. The sound of her heart beat that had been haunting him until a while ago seemed to have faded and now his ears heard nothing but the words that had led them to that point.

I allow you to enter my home but I do not allow you to stay,
I allow you to play your game but I do not allow you to cheat,
Fair and square the game will end,
A winner will remain, you or us.

Tears stung his eyes and his vision began to blur but he kept walking. His grip around her body grew tighter but reality had slowly begun to set in. Her smile slowly faded into just a simple memory that managed to rip him apart.

A small cry escaped his lips as his knees hit the ground. His arms finally fell to his sides, letting go of the one he held so dearly. Now his eyes watched as her blood coloured the black gravel, his voice getting louder with each new cry.

Finally the silence broke as the sun painted the sky golden and his scream of agony rang out in the neighbourhood that slept until that moment.