Chapter 11 - Brianna

"Silly Bri, silly Bri, you're my little silly Bri,"

Brianna looked up at her father as he gathered her in his arms, slowly wiping away the tears that fell from her eyes.

Just like any other day, Brianna had been jumping around the house, playing with her dolls and pretending she was being chased by an imaginary friend. Somewhere during a playful chase, she found herself falling. Her knees hit the floor beneath, making her cry out in pain as the stinging continued. Sitting in her place, she cried and cried until she heard the sound of a door opening.

Soon her father had come to check on her and was now holding her in his arms as he sang her a song that he had made just for her.

Surrounded by his warmth and the sound of his voice, her pain slowly began to disappear. Her eyelids were now heavy as her father's hand gently stroked her head.

"Silly Bri, silly Bri, you're my little silly Bri,
Wipe away your tears and come play with me,
We'll weave stories of castles and princes,
Light winning over darkness,
As long as you smile for me,
My little silly Bri."

Her little fingers clutched onto his shirt as a smile formed on her face. She loved hearing her father sing. His voice seemed to take away all her fears, all her pain and soon she would be laughing once again.

"Naughty Bri, naughty, vile Bri,
You ruined everything."

Suddenly the warmth that cocooned her was gone as her father's gentle voice became raspy and animal like. The hands that held her gently were now crushing her body, nails digging into her skin. Brianna screamed and cried, thrashing in her father's embrace but he would not let her go.

"You chose the darkness giving into your greed,
You ruined lives just for your own safety."

Curling her fingers into fists, she banged her hands against her father's body, screaming at him to stop. She didn't want to hear his song anymore. She didn't want to be reminded of all the wrong that she had done.

"Now you pay for your sins,
Your filthy heart on display,
Ripped apart from inside out,
You'll rot slowly,
No one to even remember your name."

She knew that she had been wrong. She had given in too easily to everything that was wrong, wasting her life away and ruining everything that could help her get better.

Brianna was a fool, misguided by her own mind and she was ready to accept that. She was ready to accept just how vile she truly was but what she couldn't accept was that it was the end for her. She was a young girl blinded by everything that glittered but she had learned her lesson. All she needed now was a chance to fix every wrong, to start again.

Wouldn't she at least get one chance?

"It's just too late for you."

Brianna woke up with a start, breathing hard as sweat marked her skin. Her wide eyes looked around her, taking in her surroundings as the sound of her heartbeat boomed in her ears.

All around her was nothing but darkness, no sound except the sound of her heart to fill the empty void.

Fear invaded her mind as the darkness surrounded her, terrifying her without showing her anything. Her eyes looked around wildly in every possible direction as if waiting for something to come for her. She waited for a demonic hand to grab her skin or for a supernatural weapon to impale her body.

The darkness held all kinds of secrets and just the very thought of their existence was enough to make Brianna cry. Any moment the worst possible thing could happen to her and she wouldn't be able to save herself. Stuck in a cocoon of shadows, there was no light to guide her out of this mess.