Chapter 2 - Ansyl

Ansyl's eyes watched Nathan as she followed him to the parking lot. The boy who was always laughing and talking to her seemed so very distant today. His broad shoulders were now slumped and his eyes were dull, thinking of things that she didn't know about.

She wanted to ask him if he was okay but for some reason he wasn't opening up to her like always and that really worried her.

However, instead of letting the worry show on her face, Ansyl smiled as she neared the parking lot where her friends were waiting for her. Most of the students had already left for home so the area was mostly empty.

The sound of a familiar song filled the air as Ansyl watched her friend – Cat – move to the beats. Going on her tip toes, she twirled, her open blue hair almost smacking Kyle in the face. Giving the dancer a look, Kyle moved away not wanting to be hit again but the girl never noticed. Her eyes were closed, taking the music in and feeling every beat.

Caitlyn aka Cat was a free spirit. Somewhat like Brianna in her beliefs, Cat hated being held down. For her, each moment in life was to be cherished which needed to be turned into something that she would remember her entire life. That was also the reason why Cat and Bri got along so well.

She was also the girl that Nathan grew up with. Her house used to be right next to his and they would meet every day until one day Cat's family moved out of town. From the way Nathan described her, the blue haired girl hadn't always been all that reckless. She used to be a wild child but it was in college that her recklessness had increased.

"Nathan," Cat sang as she hugged him.

Nathan rolled his eyes at Cat and then flicked her forehead, making her pout.

Moving away from Nathan, Cat turned her eyes to Ansyl wrapping her arms around the red head's shoulder.

"Ansyl, why is your boyfriend such a meanie?" she asked and Ansyl smiled at her.

"I ask him that every day," Ansyl grinned, feeling Nathan eyes on her.

He would get her back for those words later.

Grinning, Cat went back to dancing. Once the blue haired girl moved away, Ansyl very carefully made her way to Cat's car, her hands shoved in her pockets. Inside the car sat a blonde haired girl, her eyes carefully reading the book she was holding. When Ansyl sat inside, Sia looked up and smiled at her. Then her brown eyes went back to her book.

As everyone around her did their own thing, Ansyl's eyes moved to Nathan who was leaning on the car beside Cat's, his head down as he lost himself in his thought once again.

She bit her lip and stared down at her hands, knowing that he wouldn't tell her anything if he didn't want to.

Nathan was always so honest with Ansyl, telling her exactly how he felt and the thoughts that bothered him. After all, she was his confidant the same way he was hers and yet here they were, his shoulders carrying a weight that he wouldn't share with her.

There was only one time when Nathan had pulled away from her in the same way and that time it had almost ruined the relationship they had built so carefully. He had been too scared about what the future would hold for them. He was scared of the sudden distance that would come between them once graduation came. He was scared that if he decided to invest himself into something long distance, he might break if things between them ended.

As her eyes shifted to his figure that now was hunched, lost in thought, Ansyl wondered whether he was having those same thoughts all over again.

"Everything okay?" Sia's voice cut through Ansyl's thoughts just as tears threatened to spill from her eyes.