Chapter 1 - Nathan

"We're losing her!"

"There's just too much blood,"

"What were they thinking?"

"He's a murderer,"

Her red hair lay wet, a tangled mess as crimson dripped down her arm and onto the ground below. Her skin grew paler with every passing second as blurred figures ran all around, doing what they could to revive her. They pricked her flawless skin with needles, covering her beautiful face with a mask so that she could breathe.

He felt a hand on his shoulder. He felt his body shake but he couldn't move. He wouldn't move. All he wanted was to stand there and wait for her to open her eyes. All he wanted was for her to look at him the way she always did.

However, they carried her into the ambulance and started to shut the door, cutting off his view of her. They were trying to take her away from him.

That's when he lost control, that's when he started to fight them off. They held him down but he screamed and he thrashed, doing what he could to keep her with him because he knew that if he let go, she wouldn't come back to him.

Suddenly, a harsh light shone in his face making him close his eyes and look away. When he did open his eyes, he found himself in the safety of his room.

For a while Nathan's eyes just watched the rotation of the ceiling fan, cool wind drying up the beads of sweat that now covered his skin. The sound of his heart hammering in his chest filled his ears as he struggled to control his breathing. His mind was in a frenzy, trying to separate dream from reality.

He tried his best to convince himself that he was awake but the sight of his beloved slowly dying in front of his eyes would not leave him.

Glancing to the side, he found Ansyl sleeping beside him like always, her back turned towards him, red hair covering the pillow and sheets. Reaching his hand out, Nathan gently ran his fingers through her soft hair. She was right there beside him and yet in his mind she seemed so far away, the sound of an ambulance still ringing his head.

Unable to help himself, he wrapped his hand around her shoulder, pulling her body into his, scared that he may still be trapped in a dream. However, when he touched her, he found that her skin was still warm. A groan escaped her lips as she stirred awake, letting him know that she was still alive. Slowly, she turned her head to look back at him, eyes half open.

"What's wrong?" she asked as her blue eyes opened completely and filled with worry.

Reaching out her hand, he felt her wipe away tears that he didn't realize were there until now.

"Nothing," he whispered.

He could tell her that he had a nightmare but he had no intention of remembering the images of his dream.

"Are you sure? You don't sound okay," Ansyl whispered as her thumb traced his cheek.

"I'm sure, Red," Nathan said, calling her by her nickname just to let her know that he was fine.

Then he leaned back and watched as a smile formed on her face, her cheeks slightly pink.

Nathan had been using that nickname since the day they had met, yet somehow she smiled like it was the first time she had heard it.

"Then how come you're awake? It isn't like you to be up for class in time," she teased, smiling at him.

"Oh? Is that so?" he asked, his eyebrows raised.