Prelude

Prelude

5 Years Later

Makeila

"Zayn, I'm just tired of you not being at home with us. You have a whole family! And you still out here on these streets, going outta town and doing whatever you do!" I say to my husband through the phone, as I'm in my office, standing in front of the wide window, staring at the sun as it begins to set across the horizon.

"But we gotta eat, right? We gotta have a roof over our heads, right? We got bills and shit to pay, right? Bri got skating and basketball, right? Zaria and Zaib got ballet, right?" He asks in a sarcastic tone, making me roll my eyes hard as if he was standing in front of me seeing my attitude for his self.

Lately, we have been distant; because he happens to be an entrepreneur, owning four strips clubs in three different states, a chain of a small car dealerships throughout Los Angeles, Nevada and Colorado and besides that he's a big-time drug dealer; that some time must go to states like Brazil and Belize to get the good shit. He started out as a dough boy, but overcame drastically in the last six years, this nigga is passed Nino Brown's level and became successful by both sides of the game, making himself a millionaire. He's currently in New York closing out a deal.

Don't get me wrong, I am proud for him. But his family still needs him and I need him. It's just hard being away from him.

"Yes, all that is important, but baby you got a lot going for yourself. We'll be alright, please come home to us."

"You know I can't do that Keila, you know I want to be home with y'all. But I gotta chase this paper, I promise it'll be all over soon."

I furrow my eyes and stare at the ceiling, while listening to him rant on about how this money is basically more important than his whole family. I don't think he understands how much his family miss and need him, Zaibree and Zaria ask about him almost every second of the day. And I think about him like crazy, it's hard not waking up to my husband every morning.

"Keila did you hear me?" He asks, breaking me away from my thoughts.

I wipe my tears from my face with the back of my hand. "No, what did you say? I'm tryna type something up." I make an excuse, to replace the fact that I'm crying my eyes out over him

"I need you to handle this meeting for me. You know the meeting I was telling you about the other day?" He states, I scrunch my eyes up in confusion; knowing good and well he never asked me to take on a meeting for him.

"Zay, you never asked me to handle a meeting." I cross my foot over the other one and rest my hand on my hip, looking down at my shiny white floor. "And I'm at the office, I don't get off to 6:30."

"Oh, my fucking God man." He sighs frustrate "Woman, do not play this game. I told you on Tuesday that I needed you to meet with Carl Lewinsky, he wants to buy one of the dealerships from me."

"Zayn! You never mentioned this to me!" I exclaim.

"You are so damn forgetful, why can't you never do shit right huh? "

"First of all, watch your tone. You never told me about this dumb ass meeting, so don't get mad at me. I talk to you every day, I know that I didn't forget something important like this." I snap, I can't believe he has the nerve to pull all this shit back on me. Just like man, when his plans don't go right.

"Don't get loud with me girl! I did tell you! What nigga got you forgetting?" He questions.

I suck my teeth and release the phone from my ear, jerking my head back at his dumb 's remark, because he knows for a fact that he is the only one. But I take it for the joke it is. "Shut the fuck up!" I yell.