Someplace to be

Sighing, Stevie gave up, putting her fork down after picking at her food for the past five minutes. She reached for a glass of water instead and took a few sips. 

"Maybe you should order something else?" Mark suggested, enjoying his lunch unlike Stevie.

"No, I guess, I'm not that hungry." 

"Something on your mind?"

"The same on my mind." Stevie replied, looking somewhere past him, yet at nothing in particular. "I never thought Lindsey would actually hide from me."

"Well, his logic is... interesting." Mark nodded, having been told everything that night Stevie had asked him over for dinner. 

"I'm convinced Mick is the one helping him. I've tried contacting him and he's not answered his phone or called me back after the messages I've left him once. Jules went to Mick's house here, but she didn't find him either. Though, that's not too surprising, since he doesn't actually live here full time."

Using a napkin, Mark put it down and sat back, once he finished eating. "I don't know the man, but... would a friend really do something like this?"

"Apparently, he's not that good of a friend like I thought he was." Stevie shrugged, doing her best to hide the fact she was hurt by Mick's actions. "Does he want Lindsey and I to get divorced?" It was a rhetorical question, also not a very serious one. "I don't..." Mark looked away, hearing Stevie say that. He thought he was doing a pretty good job at keeping his feelings and emotions bottled up, but she saw right through him. "I'm sorry that I got you involved."

"What do you mean? I'm-"

"All I needed was a friend. I didn't mean for it to escalate into anything more." Stevie sounded apologetic, telling herself not to reach out an touch him. 

"Well, I should have known what I was getting myself into. I knew you were married." Mark pretended he was nonchalant about it. 

"I came onto you, you've done nothing wrong." Stevie said, feeling a little embarrassed. "I... I gave you hope. False hope." She added. "No matter how or what I was feeling, I've always known that I couldn't actually move on from Lindsey. He's the love of my life."

"And you're so lucky to have him. Stevie, everything between us is fine. We're still friends and I'm not just saying that." Mark forced a smile, looking at her across the table. "I promise you."

"You're so good to me. I wish, I could be more to you than just a friend."

"Don't say that, please." Mark sighed, shaking his head. "I know where I stand with you and it's okay. I'm glad I can be your friend. I feel great knowing that you trust me enough to talk to me about your life so openly. I'm just happy to be a part of your life."

~

Listening to yet another message from Stevie, Mick wanted to scream. Why on earth would he get himself between Stevie and Lindsey? Only a week had passed since he helped Lindsey leave the rehabilitation center, but the guilt was already eating him up inside. If there was still any chance of Stevie ever speaking to him again, Mick had to let her know about Lindsey immediately. 

With shaking hands, Mick picked up the phone and dialed the Buckinghams' number. His heart was beating out of his chest, but there was no way he could chicken out, despite how badly he wanted to. Mick waited. And waited. Nobody answered, however, so he left a message, before putting the receiver down, already fearing the moment he was going to get a call back.

~

Entering the house, Stevie tossed her keys away and took off her boots, letting out a sigh of relief. It didn't go unnoticed by Mark. "Don't you think there's better footwear than six inch heeled boots?"

"These aren't six inch." Stevie pointed out, adding with a shrug. "I like them. Why don't you make yourself comfortable in the living room and I'll go tell the boys we're back." Stevie told Mark, before climbing the stairs up and going to Zack's room, where she found Julia playing with the boys. "I didn't know you were into toy cars."

"Very funny." Julia rolled her eyes, while Stevie laughed lightly. 

"Your granddaddy is waiting for you, Tim." 

"Are they leaving?" Zack whined. 

"It's your turn dealing with them." Julia whispered to Stevie and nearly jumped to her feet, then left the room. Getting downstairs, she went to the kitchen for a snack, passing the answering machine, she noticed there was a message. Julia and the boys had spent some time outside, so it wasn't surprising she didn't hear it. 

Without a second thought, she let the message play, Mick's voice coming through. He said he was sorry about ten times, saying he knew he was wrong and that he felt incredibly guilty. Mick also mentioned Lindsey not wanting his family to know his whereabouts, but he couldn't keep the secret in any longer. At the end of the message and after yet another apology, Mick told Lindsey's address and Julia wasn't the only one who heard it - Mark did as well. However, she had completely forgotten he was there, too, shock coming over her, once Mick's voice reached her ears.

"Here you are." Mark said, standing up, when Stevie entered the family room with Tim and Zack. "I, uh... I forgot I had somewhere to be." He rushed. "I'm sorry."

"What? But we-" Stevie started, but Mark cut her off.

"I know, really, forgive me, but..." He pretended to check the time. "Gee, I'm running late already!"

"Mark, what the hell are you on?" Stevie laughed nervously, following him to the door.

"It just completely slipped my mind. I'll call you!" He said, strapping Tim into his car seat, before getting in behind the wheel and speeding out of the driveway.

Frowning, Stevie shut the door, then shrugged it off. Maybe he just really had some other place to be.