The whole world

~ A year later ~

"Well hello there, my little princess!" Lindsey greeted his daughter, taking her over from Stevie, who was busy making sure Layla's first birthday celebration was going smoothly. "Why don't we go and thank your guests for coming, huh?" Layla just smiled widely at him, even though she didn't really have a clue what he said.

Entering the kitchen, Stevie looked around, checked the refrigerator, then started panicking. "Jules?" She called out. "Julia!" No answer. "Julia Buckingham, where the hell are you?!"

"She left for the birthday cake." Jessica said, having heard Stevie's voice. 

"Oh, good. I thought I was going to faint a minute ago, I couldn't have forgotten the most important thing."

"Relax." Jess smiled, putting one arm around Stevie's shoulders and giving her a squeeze. "Everything's under control. Besides, it's not like Layla is going to remember this."

"She won't, but I will and everyone here will. I can't have my baby's first birthday be a disaster."

"Understandable, but honestly, Stevie, you deserve to enjoy this day as much as everyone else." Jessica told her, giving a little push towards the door to the backyard. "Go, spend time with your baby." 

Smiling gratefully, Stevie went outside, spotting Lindsey with their girl right away. Even if she couldn't see them, she could hear them, Layla chuckling heartily as Lindsey spun her around. She decided to let them have their moment, going to Mick, Christine and Mark. 

"I think I haven't seen you longer than five minutes." Mick joked. "You've been running around the whole time."

"I know, I'm sorry. Just..." Stevie shrugged, accepting a drink from Christine. "It's a special day. After everything that's happened in the past two years, I feel like I have to want to be happy, I have to work for it if that makes any sense. I had to work today so Layla could have a beautiful birthday party."

"Of course it makes sense." Mark nodded, reaching across the table, patting Stevie's hand. "But I think it's about time you let yourself enjoy what you've worked so hard for." It was no secret to either Mick or Chris that Mark had a lot to do with Stevie and Lindsey getting back together, so he continued. "I was there with you, Stevie. I saw what you had to go through and I see you all now. I genuinely don't think you could ever go back to that dark place." Turning his head Mark smiled at Lindsey and Layla, before facing Stevie again. "He loves you and he loves what you've given him."

Stevie couldn't help but tear up at Mark's words, reaching for a napkin, she dabbed with it under her eyes. "Thank you."

Soon, Julia returned with the birthday cake, asking Stevie to come inside and take a look at it, before they brought it to the table. 

"Oh, it's gorgeous!" Stevie exclaimed. "It's exactly what I asked for. I'm sure baby girl's going to love it, too." Showing to the top drawer, Stevie said. "I think, that's where I put the candle." Jessica opened the drawer and found it right away. "Right, let's get this outside."

Seeing the three women come out, Lindsey got to Layla's level, supporting her as she stood with one arm, pointing with the other. "Would you like to see what Mommy's got for you, sweetheart?" Standing up again, Lindsey stood behind his daughter and took hold of both her little hands, as they slowly made their way to the table.

As soon as they got there and Stevie was right in front of Layla, the girl let go of her father and demanded to be picked up. "Come here, sweetie." Stevie hoisted her up, kissing her chubby cheek. "Happy birthday, sweet girl." 

Lindsey lit the candle and everybody sang Happy Birthday, Layla getting a little shy as she cuddled up closer to her mother, laying her head on Stevie's chest. 

"Zacky? Will you help your sister blow out the candle?" Stevie asked and Zachary was standing beside her in no time. Without understanding what was happening, Layla mimicked her brother and blew the candle out, getting slightly startled once the clapping ensued. 

"I have something of my own." Lindsey said, looking at Stevie more than their girl. "It's not a present just for Layla, it's for all of us." Meaning their family. 

Stevie was confused, when Lindsey walked inside the house, then came out again a moment later, carrying his acoustic guitar. "Linds..." She hadn't heard him play since before his surgery.

He just smiled at her and took a seat, placing the instrument over his lap. Out of all songs, Stevie never would have guessed that Lindsey was going to choose Storms. It sounded so different sung by him, yet somehow it was far more emotional than when she did it. She didn't even realize when tears started rolling down her face. Although, she wasn't sad, she was happy. She hoped he chose that particular song to tell her that that wasn't a place he wanted to return to, because she for sure did not. She was slowly going away from him, her softness towards him was fading away and she truly believed that at one point there was nothing left to say. The nights were empty and the calm inside was deadly. She liked to think that deep down, they both search to find an answer, so they could truly win. Neither of them had ever been a blue calm see, they had always been a storm. But the love had always been... 

When Lindsey finished the song, he put down the guitar and everyone was quiet. Clearly, it was a very emotional and a very special moment for Lindsey and Stevie.

Eventually, Stevie approached Lindsey, with Layla in her arms, and he embraced them both, Zack and Julia coming to join them. After a minute, Stevie pulled back, eyes still full of tears, her lip trembling, Lindsey smiled at her and so did she, as the two then kissed. 

"I have the whole world right here, in my arms." Said Lindsey.

THE END

~

Thank you so much for your comments and votes on this story! I loved writing it, hope you loved reading it. Thank you!