Chapter 2

'Er-Earth?' I stuttered. My posture deteriorated and I hunched my shoulders over. I thought my ears had deceived me. I felt myself falling down a deep, dark hole, trying to grab on to what was left of things. Everything in my mind was falling apart.
'Yes, Earth. What did you think I said?' Yellow Diamond answered. Yellow Pearl let out a small snort and then returned to her smug little grin. It was like her eyes were staring into my soul, eating away at every part of it. I wondered about asking her to leave, but I didn't dare.
'I - I don't think I can.' I said drawing myself up tall. Yellow Pearl gasped (shocker) and looked frantically from me to Yellow Diamond and then back to me again.
'What?'
'How can I possibly go to Earth?' I said, as my voice grew louder. I was the only one on Homeworld that dared stand up to Yellow Diamond. Everyone else would surely be shattered. I was the exception. Yellow Diamond didn't say anything. 'You know very well why I don't want to go to Earth!'
'Do I really?'
'Wha - of course you do!'
'And why is that then?' She said, raising her voice slightly too.
'Because of what happened to Peridot and Jasper! Their ship crashed! What if the same thing happens to me? WE DON'T KNOW IF THEY ARE DEAD OR ALIVE!' I yelled. I felt tears prick my eyes and my face grew red with anger. I began to hyperventilate yet again. My mother stayed silent. Yellow Pearl had backed up against the wall and fallen to the floor, shaking at the fact that even I could dare to shout at Yellow Diamond. I got some amusement out of this, but let that remain only in my head, and kept my posture and expression.
'Well I never!' Yellow Pearl stared at me in disbelief as she spoke. I chose to ignore her, and I think my adoptive mum did too.
'Y/n. Do you trust me?' She said. Where was this going? I answered truthfully.
'Do I? Yes, of course I do, mother.'
'Then believe me when I say, if Jasper and Peridot were back I would send them with you. To put your mind at ease. For your own safety. After all, your jasper is the best jasper there is. But - well...' she trailed off.
'Mother? I heard you muttering about Peridot the other day. I didn't dare ask you why because you were so quick-tempered. Can I ask, now, what that was about?'