Chapter 3

She looked at me with fondness in her eyes, for what reason I was unaware.
'Fine. That puny peridot dared yell at me through a Direct Diamond Line and attempted to change my mind about the cluster. I then proceeded to tell her that the cluster will emerge and tear apart the Earth. Then, she ignored orders from me to redeem herself and called me... A CLOD!' Her voice grew louder and louder as she went on. I couldn't believe what she was saying. She was the most devoted gem to Yellow Diamond that I know. One question burned in my head.
'So she is alive... what about Jasper?'
'Hmph. There has been no word of the jasper. I believe she is no longer alive.' How could she be so blunt at such a tender subject? Especially to me! The tears pricking my eyes came pouring down my face and I sank to the floor, my head in my hands.
'Y/n, do you know why I sent your jasper with the peridot?' My mother asked.
'N-n-no...' I said between sobs. I hugged my knees closer to my chest and curled up in a tight ball on the floor.
'It was because I wanted your friends to be safe. I thought that, if Jasper was with them, they would be safe. But I was wrong wasn't I? Everything's gone wrong, because of me,' I stayed silent at this reaction to my pain. 'Now that peridot is a traitor, she's betrayed our home, the jasper is no where to be found, and neither is that lapis lazuli.'
'I don't care about Lapis! I never liked her! We never did, not me, not Jasper, not Peridot! Don't bring her up at a time like this!'
'I know you don't like her, but it still matters. She was the only one who knew where their base was and now she's gone. She's not coming back I can tell.'
'And good riddance to her! She just made everything worse! Now they're all gone!' I couldn't bear it.
'You know I've been in your situation too, y/n. I've been through exactly the same thing you're going through.' My mother was trying to help me.
'I know. You've told me about when Pink Diamond was shattered and killed-'
'-By your first adoptive mother. Y/n, don't you see? The whole lot of them are no good, traitorous rebels! And now that peridot is one of them! Maybe even the jasper and the la - the, erm, jasper is too!'
'My birth mother was one of them.'
'I saved you from the lot of them. Who knows what they could have turned you into? A monster, at the least.' Yellow Diamond would not give up until I saw her ways.
'I thank you for it. Fine. I'll go to Earth. Is there a space ship ready?'
'Yes. We would normally just use the warp pad, as we sent robonoids to fix it, but it has been broken. So, I'll assign an amethyst or a jasper to you and-'
'No. I don't want anyone going with me. The same thing might happen like it did to Jasper, Peridot and - her.'
'Ok. You need to check on the status of the cluster. The peridot said it was nearly ready to emerge, but I cannot be sure. It might have been a lie. After all, she's a traitor now.'
'Wait. Why are you sending me? What if the cluster emerges while I'm there?' I worried even more now, this time about my own safety.
'You're sensible. You'll know exactly what to do. Just get back to the ship and fly back. I'll give you the coordinates to the kindergarten where it is located. You can set off when you're ready.'
'Ok.' I looked back at Yellow Pearl. A few minutes ago she had been taking deep breaths and pacing up and down, much to my amusement. Now she had calmed down, she was back at Yellow Diamond's side, with an idiotic, large grin spreading from one side of her face to the other, with her eyes closed. She was such a drama queen, it was annoying. I turned to leave the room and prepare for my departure.
'Y/n?' My mother spoke as I began to walk away. I turned back around.
'Yes?'
'Be safe.'
'Of course.' I said over my shoulder as I continued on my way.