Chapter 7: Now Is Always Temporary

-

-

Pat, Mom, Lucas, Connor and I are all sitting in the lounge, engrossed in the evening TV when I get a text from Antonio. "Hey, I've got a message; duty calls," I announce, rising from the couch.

"Be careful, sweetheart," Mom responds, and Pat echoes the sentiment, offering me a quick hug. After the brief farewell, I head out, jumping into my Range Rover and driving to the provided address.

 After the brief farewell, I head out, jumping into my Range Rover and driving to the provided address

"The house belongs to a Dean Masters. His file was red-flagged to notify Intelligence, but he must have been before my time," Antonio explains as we gather outside a grand house in a wealthy part of Chicago. He shows us a picture of Dean Masters, the central figure in our investigation.

"Oh, yeah, him. That robbery at the art institute last year, we liked him as the fence," Voight recalls with a tone that suggests familiarity.

"The neighbors heard a woman scream. We knocked, he yelled out that he had a gun and to leave him alone," the responding officer informs us, setting the scene for what awaits us inside the residence.

"Masters, this is Sergeant Voight with the Chicago Police," Voight declares, gesturing for me to get ready near the door. "Open up, make this easy on all of us."

"He's gonna kill me!" The desperate cry of a woman from inside intensifies the urgency of the situation.

"Take it," Voight orders, signalling me to take action. I quickly shoot the lock, and the door swings open. We enter cautiously, weapons raised, immediately spotting a man holding a woman hostage with a gun to her head. "Drop it!"

"I told 'em I would kill her!" Masters declares, his desperation evident.

"Drop it, Masters!" Voight repeats, his authoritative voice cutting through the tension.

"We're here to help," Lindsay calls out, attempting to diffuse the escalating crisis.

"Let her go," Dawson demands, his eyes locked on the unfolding scene.

"All we're trying to do is have a good time, isn't that right, huh?" Masters rambles, forcefully pressing the woman's face onto the table into a pile of cocaine, forcing her to take some.