Chapter 12: A Material Witness

-

-

"So what are you going to do?" Natalie's voice echoes through the phone, concern evident in her tone, as I share the news of my father's unexpected return to the city.

"I have no clue," I admit, my fingertips gently massaging my forehead as if I can physically rub away the complexities of the situation. "He's been away for years, living it up with his friends. He can't keep popping back and expecting Jesse, Tess, and me to be okay with it."

"Yeah, I know, I totally get it." The background noise of the hospital seeps into the call, a robotic voice announcing 'code blue, code blue, code blue.' "I have to go to this patient; I'll speak to you later," she says before ending the call.

As I enter the district, the familiar hustle and bustle surrounds me. My head throbs in protest, a lingering reminder of how much I drank last night at Molly's. I make my way up to Intelligence, slipping off my jacket and hanging it on the back of my desk chair. Erin is engaged in conversation with a curly brown-haired girl sitting on her office chair, holding her hand. It takes a moment, but I recognize her as Lexi, Al's daughter.

"Hey, what's going on?" I inquire, curiosity and concern etched on my face.

"This is Lexi, Al's daughter. She just witnessed a shooting," Erin explains, her gaze shifting between me and Voight, who is ascending the stairs.

"She's okay. She's just in shock," Erin reassures him, anticipating his concern.

"Sounds about right," he grumbles, unfazed by the chaos that often accompanies his line of work.

"You care to explain what happened to you last night?" Erin queries, the lingering rumors of his arrest circulating.

"I got it handled," he dismisses with a characteristic air of nonchalance.

"Everyone knows you got pinched," Erin insists.

"And?" His response is laced with indifference, a stark contrast to my own tendency to overthink and worry.

"Hey, how you doing, kiddo?" Voight addresses Lexi as Alvin bounds up the stairs.

"My God," he pants, acknowledging our presence. "Hey."

"I'm so sorry, Dad," Lexi offers a heartfelt apology, rising from her seat to embrace him.

"What happened?" Alvin inquires, his concern evident.

"I was at a party," Lexi confesses.

"Until dawn?" He probes, a mix of surprise and fatherly worry in his voice. "Does Mom know you're here?"

"Yeah," she sobs.

"What did you do? Sneak out?" Alvin continues, his voice gentle as he strokes her head.

"Sergeant," Trudy interrupts, approaching us.

"Yeah," Voight responds, turning his attention to her.

"Someone here from Gang Unit to see you. It's about the shooting in Pilsen," she informs him.