Chapter 21: The Weigh Station

-

-

Maddie lies with wide eyes, a dark pool of blood spreading beneath her, her breaths shallow and labored. With a sense of urgency, Jay applies pressure to the wound, his actions precise and deliberate as he tries to stem the flow of blood from her neck. It's a harrowing sight, the stark reality of the violence in Chicago.

"You're okay," Jay's voice cuts through the chaos, his hands applying pressure to Maddie's neck wound as blood seeps through her fingers. The acrid scent of metal fills the air as the coppery tang of blood mingles with the musty odor of the bar.

Erin rushes outside in pursuit of the assailant, but he escapes in a sleek black car, leaving us to deal with the aftermath of his violence.

"Lincoln 5021 emergency. I need backup at 4292 South Emerald Street," crackles the urgent call over our radios as Erin reports the incident.

"Maddie, everything's going to be okay," Jay reassures her, his voice steady despite the urgency of the situation. I feel paralyzed, my muscles refusing to obey as I watch helplessly from my spot amidst shattered glass and scattered debris.

"Jay?" Erin's voice interrupts, breaking the tense silence.

"Hey, come here," Jay responds from behind the bar, his focus solely on Maddie's worsening condition.

"Was anybody hit?" Erin's gaze sweeps the room before settling on Maddie's prone form, her eyes widening in shock.

"Erin, I need more towels," Jay's voice is urgent, his plea repeated as he works tirelessly to staunch the flow of blood. "I need more towels. Give me towels, now." He keeps repeating.

The wail of approaching sirens signals the arrival of the ambulance, and Erin rushes outside to guide them in, providing vital information about Maddie's injuries.

"All right. We got it from here," Sylvie Brett, one of the paramedics, takes charge, her calm demeanor a reassuring presence amidst the chaos. She swiftly assesses Maddie's condition, issuing commands to her team as they work to stabilize her.

I sit on the floor, my heart pounding in my chest, as Antonio wraps his arms around me, offering silent support. "We'll get him," he assures me, his voice a steady anchor in the turmoil. With his help, I rise to my feet and allow him to guide me out of the bar, the events of the evening still swirling in my mind as he drives me back to his place.

The soft glow of the lamp casts a warm ambiance in the living room, casting gentle shadows across the walls as Antonio and I find solace in each other's company. The silence of the night wraps around us like a comforting blanket, soothing the frayed edges of my nerves.

"Do you think she'll be alright?" I voice my concern, my words punctuating the hushed stillness of the room.

Antonio's reassuring presence offers me a sense of comfort as he settles beside me on the couch, his touch grounding me in reality. He returns with a glass of water, his movements fluid and graceful, before nestling me into his embrace.