Chapter 9: Conventions

-

-

The quaint café buzzes with the melody of conversation, the occasional clinking of utensils against porcelain, and the tantalizing aroma of freshly brewed coffee lingering in the air. Lucas, seated across from me at the table, indulges in the delight of an ice cream sundae, his spoon dancing across the creamy surface. The cozy ambiance wraps around us as I join him, promising more weekends like this, filled with shared laughter and joy.

"Maybe not every weekend," I chuckle, teasingly tickling his tummy beneath the table, evoking infectious giggles from him. "But definitely as much as we possibly can, I promise." His sparkling eyes light up with excitement, pondering the prospect of more adventures. "Did you have fun?" I inquire, relishing in his enthusiastic response.

"Lots!" he exclaims, the pure joy evident in his expression. "Can I come meet your police friends? Can I ride in the car, with the lights?" His innocent curiosity warms my heart.

"Maybe another time," I reply with a tender smile.

"For my birthday?"

"Go on then, on your birthday, you can have a little go." I give in to his charm as he happily engages in imaginative play with his toy police car.

As Mom enters the café, a familiar warmth accompanies her, setting the scene for a heartfelt family moment. Lucas's eyes light up at the mention of a sleepover with Nan, and he rushes to embrace her, momentarily setting aside his thoughts of miniature adventures with me.

Heading to Med to meet Natalie, the hospital greets me with the familiar blend of antiseptic cleanliness and the low hum of activity. Natalie finishes her duties in the doctor's lounge, preparing for our outing to Molly's for some much-needed relaxation and girl time.

At the hospital, I encounter Connor, his worn expression hinting at the toll recent events have taken on him. The E.D's fluorescent lights cast shadows on his face, revealing the fatigue and devastation that linger in his eyes. I approach him, attempting to bridge the gap, but our interaction is laden with tension.

"Hey, Con," I greet him, my attempt at casual conversation.

"Katie," he acknowledges with a nod, his gaze averted. I halt his departure, catching his arm to address the unresolved emotions between us.

"I don't want there to be any hard feelings. Can't we still be friends?"

"Babe, I mean, Kat, I mean—" His struggle with words reflects the internal conflict. "Katie, I just... I just need a little time. I really, really love you, and I was, I am, ready to take us to the next step."

"I can be too," I reassure him, pleading silently for understanding. "Just not right now. Please, Connor, don't push me away. We've always been close friends. I want to stay that way."

"Like I said, I need a little time." His nod conveys the weight of his decision, and he continues to walk away, leaving a palpable sense of uncertainty in his wake.