Chapter 18: A Beautiful Friendship

-

-

As I approach my car outside the bar, the familiar chime of my phone breaks through the night's silence, casting a soft glow over the darkened street. With a quick glance at the caller ID, I see Antonio's name flashing on the screen. I slide my thumb across the answer button, bringing the phone to my ear. "Hi."

"Hey," Antonio's voice greets me, the strain evident in his tone. "I saw Pulpo on the news."

"Yeah, he's back in a prison cell, no privileges allowed," I inform him, my voice firm with resolve.

"Thank yo--"

"You don't need to thank me. Whatever you need, I'm here," I interrupt, my words laced with sincerity.

"Can you come to the hospital?" He requests, and without hesitation, I assure him that I'm on my way. Starting the car, I navigate the familiar streets of Chicago, my thoughts consumed with thoughts of Antonio.

Arriving at the hospital, I find Antonio in his room, his movements strained as he attempts to pack his belongings into a duffel bag. I quickly step forward, taking the items from his hands. "What are you doing?"

"They said I can go home," he explains, his voice strained with discomfort. He tries to reclaim his things, but I hold them out of his reach, my gaze filled with concern.

"Alright, I have antibiotics, pain meds, and sleeping tablets," a nurse enters the room, carrying a tray of medicine bottles. She assures us of Antonio's condition before leaving him to finish getting ready.

As I pack his bag, Antonio sits on the bed, his expression a mixture of relief and apprehension. Curiosity gets the best of me, and I can't help but ask, "Why didn't you call Laura?"

He sighs, his shoulders slumping with exhaustion. "Because she's never going to let this go," he confesses, resignation lacing his tone. "As soon as I get back home, she's going to pounce on me about the dangers of the job, lecturing me on being more careful because of the kids. I just need a bit more time before I face her onslaught." His vulnerability is evident as he reveals the complexities of his strained relationship with Laura. "And you understand, Katie. You get the passion for this job, how important it is. It's why Laura and I ended our marriage the first time. And I think that being shot will only exacerbate the problem."

I nod empathetically, my heart heavy with understanding. I comprehend Laura's turmoil, torn between the fear of losing him and the overwhelming need to shield their family. But amidst it all, I also recognize his unwavering dedication to his career. I've been in both positions. 

"I'll drive you home, but I don't think Laura should see that you called me to come get you," I suggest gently, seeking to spare him from further conflict with his wife.

He frowns, confusion etching his features. "Why not?"

I release a deep breath, grappling with the weight of unspoken truths. It's not my place to divulge Laura's intentions or the tension between us. He deserves to hear it from her, in her own words. "Come on, let's go," I deflect, opting for silence over confrontation, heading down to my car.