Year Five: The Good Luck Kiss

Everything in bold is taken directly from Harry Potter And The Order Of The Phoenix and is not my own writing.

Hermione sat at the Gryffindor table watching a very nervous Ron pick at his bacon and eggs that she had just placed in front of him.

"Ron, you have to eat something." she told him as she rubbed his back.

Ron stared at the plate with no desire to eat a thing. He appreciated Hermione's help in trying to get him to calm his nerves, but he just couldn't shake the feeling that he was going to mess up.

Why did his first game have to be against bloody Slytherin? He already knew that Draco had something foul up his sleeve. Slytherin never played fair.

He wished he could just curl up in bed and stay there until the game was over. Hell, he wished he hadn't tried out. What was he thinking? What was Angelina thinking in choosing him?

Maybe it was because he was the twins brother and that she and them were best friends. Her and Fred were dating, so maybe she felt obligated. He knew he was rubbish, so of course Angelina had seen. Obviously she hadn't been thinking clearly, otherwise she would have given the position to someone else.

"Ron?" said Hermione in a sing-song voice, pulling him out of his thoughts.

He looked over at her and seen that she had a spoonful of cereal in her hand, flying it around like he was a baby.

"Come on Ron." said Hermione with a huge grin on her face. "Here comes the broom trying to get inside the broom closet. Open your mouth and let it innnnnnnnn"

Ron couldn't help but laugh. It was so silly, so adorable, so Hermione. He rolled his eyes and obeyed, allowing Hermione to 'fly' the food into his mouth.

Hermione smiled. "Am I going to have to feed you the rest? I can get quite loud you know."

"No." said Ron taking the spoon from her hand. "I think I can take it from here. But thanks."

"Anytime."said Hermione with a chuckle.

Ron sat there and ate the rest of his cereal, as well as everything else Hermione had gotten for him. Then he, Harry, Hermione, and Ginny walked to the door of the great hall and prepared to walk down to the quidditch pitch.

Ron froze midway. He felt as if his feet weighed 1,000 lbs each, as he found himself unable to move them.

"Come on Ron." said Harry. "Don't wanna be late to your first of many wins."

Ron had ambled over to them looking lost and desperate.

"Good luck, Ron," said Hermione, standing on tiptoe and kissing him on the cheek. "And you, Harry-"

Ron felt like he was in a dream. Did Hermione really just kiss him on the cheek? It's not like she kissed Harry also. She kissed him only, and wished him good luck. And thought he was still nervous, he found that the nerves for the game he had went completely out the window, and was replaced by Hermione's kiss.

Ron seemed to come to himself slightly as they walked back across the Great Hall. He touched the spot on his face where Hermione had kissed him, looking puzzled, as though he was not quite sure what had just happened.