Deathly Hallows: The Surprise Kiss

Hermione had drank at least four cups of tea in the last two hours. She was worried sick about Ron, who had been gone way longer than intended.

They took turns daily scoping out the entrance to the ministry. They were trying to figure out who would be the most inconspicuous employees to use to turn into, as they wanted to get in and out as quickly and as safely as they could.

It was Ron's day and he was only supposed to be gone until 6. It was now 9 at night and Hermione was beginning to panic.

Harry looked at his worried friend, equally as worried as she was, but was not trying to show it.

"Hermione relax. Ron's fine. He might have dozed off of even tried to see his parents to make sure the family was okay." suggested Harry, thinking it would put her mind at ease.

It didn't.

"You know full well he should not do such a thing!" yelled Hermione. "He shouldn't do things like that! What if something happens to him?!"

Harry sighed. "Think Hermione. My parents are dead. Yours are safe in Australia. We don't have to worry about anything. Ron does. He had a whole huge family to worry over and what's worse, Ginny is back at Hogwarts where Snape is the headmaster. The school is being ran by Death Eaters. He can't help but want to make sure they are okay. If you were in his situation, you would be the same way."

Hermione was about to retort when she heard the front door open and a voice coming from the hallway. "I didn't kill you blah blah blah..."

"Ron!" she yelled as she ran out the sitting room and crashed into him.

"Oof!" said Ron as Hermione impacted so hard, it almost knocked the breath out of him and caused him to almost drop the box he was holding. "Careful! Yeah, it's me. Sorry I'm late."

Hermione slapped Ron on the arm. 'What the heck are you playing at? Why were you gone for so long?!"

"Ah Ron, you're here." said Harry patting Ron on the back. "Right, well, I'm going to sleep. Not in the mood to hear this row. G'Night." Harry turned and quickly walked up the steps, escaping to Sirius’s bedroom.

Hermione glared daggers at Ron. Ron rolled his eyes and went up the steps as well, heading towards the room that he and Hermione slept in.

"Don't you dare walk away from me, Ronald Weasley!" yelled Hermione stomping after him. Ron appeared to be ignoring her as the girl ranted and raved following behind him.

He walked into their room, Hermione at his heels. Hermione was furious at him for not responding to her. She slammed the door and turned him around forcibly.

"ARE YOU HEARING WHAT I'M SAYING?!" shouted Hermione.

"Close your eyes." said Ron calmly.

Hermione stared hard at Ron. "You want me to what?!" she snapped.

"I want you to close your eyes." he said once again.

Hermione huffed and crossed her arms. "Fine." she growled closing her eyes.

About a minute later, Ron was done with what he was doing.

"Now you can open them.

Hermione opened her eyes and gasped.

There on the dresser sat a huge double chocolate cake in the look and shape of a book. On the cover of the book were the words 'Hogwarts, A History ', her favorite book about Hogwarts to read. A number 18 candle casted a soft glow.

"Ron..."

"What kind of best friend would I be if I had forgotten your birthday, Mione?" said Ron, his lopsided grin plastered on his face.

"I...you remembered? I had forgotten my own birthday." whispered Hermione.

"I figured out that you did a couple days ago. You had become so in routine lately that I knew it would probably slip your mind. I couldn't let that happen. So, while I was out, I had snuck into the twin's shop and asked them to floo Mum and she baked this for you. I know it was a risk and I know you are pissed at me, but I just wanted to try and do something sweet for you before we did the mental shit."

Hermione wiped a tear that had escaped her eye. She walked over to the cake and admired it. It was perfect.

"Make a wish." said Ron, pointing to the candle.

Did she have anything to wish for at the moment? Sure there was a war brewing right outside the door, but at that moment, everything in Hermione's world was just fine. Her parents were safe, her best friends (though one was sleep) were with her, and the person that she had come to cherish the most risked getting caught just so she could have a nice little birthday.

She smiled as she blew out the candle. She then pulled Ron into her, hugging him tight.

"Thank you Ron. It's the kindest thing anyone had ever done for me." she said, smiling up and him.

Ron grinned and took Hermione's lips with his, kissing her slowly and lovingly. Hermione felt as if she was flying as she kissed him back, matching the movement of his lips.

If nothing else confirmed her feelings that she had for Ron, his sweet gesture solidified it. She was done. She was in deeply and entirely in love with Ronald Weasley. And that was more than likely never going to change.

When the kiss was over, Ron looked upon the face that he had long decided that he wanted to fall asleep and wake up to for the rest of his life and smiled.

'Happy Birthday Hermione." he said.