Chapter 3

Jimmy had picked me up as he had promised and we he drove us to the studio, which was located in a small side street in the middle of London. We hadn’t talked much, as I was still a little bit angry at him for snapping at me the other day and we both were as stubborn as the other was. Being nervous about seeing Robert again didn’t make things better, either. “So how are things going with the band?” I asked, wanting to break the uncomfortable silence. “You’ll see.” He answered, smirking. “I suppose things are going rather great, then.” Jimmy chuckled slightly and parked the car. “Just wait and see.” We exited the car and bumped into Bonzo. “Hello you two! How are you?” “I’m fine, thanks. How about you?” I answered, smiling. “I’m fine, too.” He smiled warmly at me. “So you’re here to listen to our stuff?” “Yes, Jimmy invited me.” “I suppose we go inside.” Jimmy interrupted us.

As we stepped into the studio, I immediately looked around the room, searching for Robert, but couldn’t find him. Jonesy greeted me and then started to talk with the others about the previous recording sessions, so I sat down in a quiet corner, pulling my tattered Les Misérables book out of my handbag. As soon as I began to read, I sunk into the world of the poor Fantine and Jean Valjean, almost feeling like a part of it.

“I love Les Misérables.” I heard Robert’s voice saying from behind. Smiling I turned over to look at him. “I’ve read it literally a thousand times.” He chuckled and glanced at my book. “I can tell. What else do you read if you don’t mind me asking?” “I’d say I have a pretty eclectic taste in literature. I like Shakespeare as well as I like Tolkien. ” “Bob’s your uncle she is just as nerdy as Robert is!” Bonzo exclaimed laughing. I blushed and Robert laughed, too. “I thought I was here because you wanted me to listen to your stuff not for you to make fun of me!” I pouted. “She’s right.” Jimmy said, smiling at me. “You better be good. I don’t want to waste my time!” I teased. “We are better than good. Trust me.” Jimmy grinned cockily at me, his voice sounding slightly arrogant; though I could tell he was nervous. I just knew him too well. Jonesy grabbed his bass, Jimmy his guitar, Bonzo sat behind his drum kit and Robert stood in front of a microphone.

As they started to play, I could almost feel the energy exploding in the small room. They were amazing! I knew Jimmy was one of the best guitar players on earth, but I’d never seen him play with such energy. Bonzo was the best drummer I had ever seen; he was so powerful and creative, I had never heard anything like his way of playing before. Jonesy and he worked perfectly together. I knew Jonesy was a musically genius; the amount of instrument he could play was enormous. His bass lines fitted perfectly in the way the other two played. It felt like they were meant to be together. As Robert began to sing with his powerful voice, I knew they were the greatest band on earth. My jaw dropped open as I watched them play, trying to concentrate on every single detail. The song they played was one of my favourites, Babe I’m Gonna Leave You by Joan Baez. I liked her version a lot, though theirs filled the room with an energy I had never experienced before.

“I said that’s when it’s callin’ me back hooooome....” Robert sang with his beautiful voice. As they finished the song, they looked at me expectantly. “Wow... That was...” I couldn’t find the right words to describe what I had just experienced. “Incredible.” I ended my sentence eventually. They were all smiling cockily, though I could tell they were relieved I liked it, especially Jimmy and Robert. “Told you so!” Jimmy said snootily. “Don’t talk too big, Jimmy!” I teased him, smiling at the others. “I’m glad you liked it, love!” Robert smiled one of his half-smiles with his small, yet soft lips, showing his dimples. I gave him a peck on his cheek. “I loved it!” “So you will be touring with us?” He asked pleadingly. “Well I don’t know.” They all looked disappointedly at me. “Please Millie! I promise that you will have a great time!” Jimmy said, with pleading eyes. “Yeah, I think having a pretty bird touring with us won’t hurt!” Bonzo exclaimed. Robert smirked at me and Jonesy blushed. “Oh I’m sure you’ll find yourself some pretty birds. Judging by your looks that shouldn’t be a problem for you, don’t you think?” Jimmy smirked. “That’d be pretty easy. The birds just keep falling for me.” I rolled my eyes at him. “I think having you as company would be rather great, too.” Jonesy interrupted us quietly. “When does the tour start?” I asked, because I didn’t want to let them down. “Next Thursday.” Bonzo answered. “That’s in less than a week! You can’t expect me to make decisions out of the blue!” I exclaimed. “Take it as a job, Millie. You’ll be paid and all you have to do is taking photos of us. I promise you’ll love it! You always wanted to go to Scandinavia, didn’t you?” Jimmy tried to convince me, while the others nodded in agreement. “Does Peter know about this?” I asked instead of saying yes directly. “Yes, he does. He actually wanted me to ask you in the first place.” “All right, then. I’m coming with you, but I won’t be your dogsbody! Bear that in mind!” “You won’t, I promise.” Jimmy said. “I can be your bodyguard or somethin’ like that.” Bonzo said, smirking. “Yeah, a pretty bird like you shouldn’t be alone at parties or backstage. There might be some weirdo hitting on you.” Robert said, looking slightly concerned. I blushed. “We’ll be looking after you, I promise.” Jimmy said with his soft voice, as he always did to assure me everything was fine.

We talked for a while about the details of the tour, Robert and I looking at each other the whole time. I excused myself, saying I’d need some fresh air, hoping Robert would follow me outside, as I needed to talk to him. As I stepped out of the studio, I took a deep breath. I didn’t know what to do, so I hummed a melody I just thought of. “That sounds beautiful.” I heard a familiar voice with a Midland’s accent say. Smiling I turned around to see him standing half a meter away from me. “Why thank you.” He came closer to me, smiling so I could see his cute dimples. I wrapped my arms around his neck leaning in for a kiss. He chuckled slightly, his lips bruising against my cheek. My heart was beating faster and I felt a million butterflies in my stomach, as our lips met each other eventually. I parted my lips, allowing our tongues to entwine. He slid his arms around me, pulling me into his chest. “Look at these lovebirds!” Bonzo exclaimed laughing, as we pulled away. I blushed and looked down, but Robert put a finger under my chin and held it up again. “Don’t hide your pretty face, babe. It’s cute when you’re blushing.” He mumbled and I blushed even more.

 “What the hell are you doing, Millie?!” I heard Jimmy yell. His yelling shocked me. I turned to him, squeezing Robert’s hand tightly. “Well, what did it look like? I was kissing my boyfriend.” I blurted out, glaring at Jimmy, who seemed to be quite unhappy with this situation. They all looked at me, Robert smiling and mumbling: “So you’re my girl now, aren’t you?” That was when I realised I had actually called him my boyfriend. In front of my big brother, whom I was still mad at and who was likely to be mad at me now. “He’s your boyfriend already? For God’s sake Millie, you only know him for two days!” “If I might interrupt you, Jimmy, don’t you think she’s old enough to make her own decisions? Look how happy she is!” Jonesy said in his quiet tone and I looked at him thankfully. Robert pulled me closer to him, facing Jimmy. “He’s right. I have a little sister myself, and I would probably react the same way you did, but it would embarrass her, don’t you think?” I squeezed his hand reassuringly and looked at Jimmy. He sighed and looked back at me, smiling weakly. “You’re right Robert. I’m sorry Millie; I just don’t want you to get hurt.” I let go of Robert and hugged him. “It’s alright. Just do not behave like an overprotective mother when we are on tour.” “I’ll try my best. Talking about the tour, I actually have to phone Peter to tell him the news. He’ll be glad you’re coming with us.” He smiled warmly at me and went back into the studio. Jonesy and Bonzo followed him, leaving Robert and I alone.

“I’m glad you’re coming with us.” He said with a mischievous sparkle in his eyes. I pulled him close to me and kissed him on his dimples. “Do you want to know why I said yes?” He let out a loud chuckle. “I suppose there must be a good-looking bloke, who convinced you to come with him.” “Speaking of him, I do think he is more than good-looking. I do like him a bloody lot.” “That bloke better considers himself as lucky.” I giggled at his serious expression. “Oh, I think he does.” Our lips found each other again and he parted my lips with his tongue. As our tongues were dancing with each other, I felt a shiver down my spine. “I do like you a bloody lot, too, babe.” He said as we pulled away, his eyes filled with lust; he wasn’t the only one longing for more.