Chapter 8

When I slipped into consciousness again, I found myself in front of a toilet and somebody was holding my hand. I tried to focus on the person, but I felt the urge to throw up again and heaved myself over the toilet. The person who was next to me pulled my hair out of my face and rubbed my back comfortingly. I started to panic. Who was with me? What happened after I slipped into unconsciousness and where was I? I felt a new wave of nausea wash over me, but I successfully oppressed it; I suffered from emetophobia and throwing up was one of my biggest fears. “Everything’s all right Millie.” I heard a familiar voice soothing me. There was loud noise coming from another room; someone yelled something. “Can you stand up Millie?” “Hmm.” I mumbled, nodding slightly. When I could finally focus on the person, I realised it was Jimmy. He helped me to stand up again and I clanged to him for dear life. I knew I was about to have the probably worst panic attack I ever had and I was glad he was with me. When we stepped out of the restroom, Jonesy rushed over to us and supported me together with Jimmy. He struggled with supporting me, because I could barely walk and had no control over my body. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Robert making his way to us through the still dancing and terribly drunk crowd before I slipped back into unconsciousness.

I couldn’t make out where I was. Darkness surrounded me and I heard the heavy breathing of another person close to me. The air smelled of blood and petrol. I turned my head around and looked into the dead eyes of Emma. “Hi Millie. It’s been a while since I last saw you. Did you think you could forget about me so easily?” Her voice sounded raspy and lifeless. “I... I didn’t forget about you Emma.” I felt tears well up in my eyes; how could she think I could ever forget about her? She was my best friend and I loved her as if she was my sister. “Oh Millie don’t lie!” She hissed at me. “You want to forget about me. You need to forget about me, because you can’t live with the fact that you killed me.” I blinked at her words. “You know that it’s not true Emma. I didn’t kill you. It was an accident!” “Do you even believe what you’re saying? It’s ridiculous. If you had been driving the car you would have been dead and you would have deserved it. You don’t deserve to live. Your anxiety and your phobias control you. You can’t do anything without questioning yourself a hundred times. You couldn’t even keep your little boyfriend for more than two weeks.” She laughed hysterically and turned her head in the moonlight so I could see the blood dripping down her wounded face. Emma had a broken neck, so her head wasn’t steady. I opened my mouth to fight against her words, but no sound escaped my dry lips.

“If I were you, I would have fucked him right away. He is not looking for a relationship with a weirdo like you; all he wants is to fuck his little groupies. How could you ever think he would fancy you? Look at yourself! You are so ugly and fat!” She grinned a toothy smile at me and I gulped. There weren’t many teeth left in her mouth, but those that were, were black and her breath smelled like death. It was frightening.

I closed my eyes and took a deep breath. This was not real; it just couldn’t be. Slowly, I opened my eyes again, just to see Emma’s face only inches away from mine. “I thought about revenging myself for a long time, you know? Now I know how you can atone for my death. It’s only fair if you die too, isn’t it?” She came awfully close to me, her head shaking from side to side.

When I realised what she planned on doing, I turned around to open the door of the car, but I had no chance. “Did you really think you could escape so easily? What keeps you here is your weird little brain, not me. You could go if you wanted to; the truth is you think you should have died instead of me, and it ruins your life. I know you try to abandon the thoughts about me, but I know they keep coming back, even worse than before, too. Do you remember the incident in the car? Poor Robert thought you had gone insane!” Her hands tightened around my neck and I tried to move them away, but I couldn’t. Her grip was too strong. I fought as long as I could, but I had to give up eventually; there was simply no energy left in my body.

The last thing I saw before I closed my eyes forever was Emma’s deathly smile.