Chapter 4

On the day the tour began, Peter picked Jimmy and me up at my flat. He drove us to the airport and I got more and more nervous by the minute, as I had never even been to an airport before. Jimmy sensed my nerviness and squeezed my hand reassuringly. “Don’t worry, we’ll only be flying for an hour or so, and flying is actually really intoxicating.” Peter parked the car and we went inside the airport, each one of us carrying a suitcase. I had decided to take only a small suitcase with me, because we were touring for just eleven days. “Can I help you with this?” I turned around to see Robert smiling at me. “No, thank you. If I can pack that thing I can carry it, too.” He kissed me on my cheek, chuckling slightly. “Sounds like packing took you some time.” ‘Oh you have no idea.’ I thought to myself. Packing was rather complicated although I didn’t own that many clothes. In the end, I decided for practical clothing and one blue dress, which I wanted to wear on Robert’s birthday that was coming up on the last day of the tour. Jimmy cleared his throat. “All right then, are you ready to go?” He smiled at Robert and me. I nodded and smiled back, still a little worried about the flight. Robert took my free hand in his and we entwined our fingers. Jimmy walked along in front of us, so Robert took the chance to smile at me suggestively, but I ignored it, as the only thing I could think about was the flight. “You ok?” “I... I’m just a little worried about the flight. I’ve never even been to an airport before.” He squeezed my hand and smiled at me. “Me neither. Let’s just make the best of it.” “I’m glad you’re flying with me. Therefore my thoughts will be somewhere else...” “You’re such a naughty girl.” He mumbled into my ear and I grinned mischievously.

We met the others at the gate, where Peter handed us the tickets for the flight; then we checked our luggage in. As we approached the airplane, my grip on Robert’s hand grew tighter. “Love, I know you’re scared, but you don’t need to hurt me, do you?” He muttered in my ear, so I let go of his hand. “I didn’t mean to.” We stepped on the plane, searching for two seats next to each other. Robert spotted two at the back of the plane. “Do you want to sit on the window seat?” I asked him, as we rushed past the others. “No, I’d prefer the aisle seat.” We sat down and I stared out of the small window. I could see another plane taking off and watched it until it was out of my sight. ‘See, it’s not that bad.’ I thought, but that didn’t help a lot. The imagination of being in the air without the chance to get out if I needed some fresh air made me feel sick. 

As the plane got ready for takeoff, I began to quiver. Luckily, Robert was there to comfort me. “Everything will be fine, love. Just relax.” He wrapped his arms around me, pulling me into his chest. I buried my face in the crook of his neck, taking as much of his lovely smell and his warmth in as possible. “Better?” He asked, while resting his head on mine. “Yes.” Bonzo and Peter, who sat two rows away from us, were making jokes and Jimmy and Jonesy were talking about something that had to with the recording sessions. “Could I offer you something to drink?” A petite girl with brown hair and a pretty face asked. I supposed she was an airhostess, as she wore some sort of uniform. “What do you want?” Robert uttered under his breath. “A coke’d be nice.” I mumbled as an answer. “Two cokes, please.” He ordered and she put them on one of the small desks in front of us. “Here you are.” She said, smiling at us. “Thank you.” I mumbled and she went to the others. Robert cuddled me close to him and stroked my hair. I smiled and took a sip of my coke; then I poked my head up to look at him. He leaned in for a kiss and I wrapped my arms around his neck. When our lips finally met, I pulled him closer to me. “You taste good...” He muttered out of breath as we pulled away for a moment, just to kiss again, this time even more passionate than before. “Get a room!” Bonzo exclaimed laughing, but we didn’t care. We were lost in our own little world. Robert chuckled, still kissing me. I pulled away slowly, turning my head to Bonzo making a silly face. “Unfortunately, there isn’t that much space in here, and we’ll only be flying for another forty minutes, so don’t make a fuss about it Bonzo!” I rolled my eyes at him. “All right cheeky.” He grinned.