Sooner Than You Think

10 Years Later – Dallas, Texas

Demi Lovato sat nervously in the movie theatre, her two girlfriends chatting excitedly beside her. All around her, girls of similar ages were eagerly awaiting the movie to begin. “But don’t you think he’s just so dreamy, Demi?” Coleen asked. Demi looked at her friend, clueless. “Who?” She asked. “Duh. Elvis Presley!” Samantha said, from the other side of Coleen. The three of them, and every other girl in the theatre, where there to see Jailhouse Rock. “Oh. Sure. He’s just the bees knees.” Demi replied, attempting to look excited. “You don’t like him?” Coleen asked, catching on. “How can you not? He’s so gorgeous!” Samantha added, sending her and Coleen into a fit of giggles. “He’s just not my type, that’s all.” Demi said. ‘If only they knew!’ She thought. She’d moved to Dallas in 1950, two years after Elvis and his parents had moved to Memphis. She’d become friends with Coleen and Samantha the day she was put into their class at the local school. They were the best of friends, totally inseparable. But Demi had never told them that she had grown up with the man who was now the object of affection and desire for millions of girls around the world, including her two best friends. And now here she was, about to watch that very man, strut his stuff, betraying her. As the movie got going, and Elvis made his first screen appearance, Demi silently scolded him. ‘You said we’d both make it; the two of us together. Now look at us. You’re a big star and I’m still stuck in a small town with small-minded people. Well you’ll be seeing me soon, Elvis Aaron Presley. You’ll be seeing me sooner than you think.’ Demi opened her bag and squinted to see the letter addressed to her that lay inside. The letter that would determine her future, should she be allowed to accept the offer that had been given to her. It was from Ford Models. They’d seen her portfolio and loved her look. And they wanted to sign her. Immediately.