We Can't Do That

An uproar had followed their dancing act, with all the young people aged 25 and under in the room pairing up and rushing to the dance floor. As soon as they saw their management teams looking for them, both Demi and Elvis knew it was time to disappear. Grabbing Demi’s things from a more than helpful Audrey Withers – “If they ask, I didn’t see you!” She told the two as they rushed away – they ran out and jumped into Elvis’ waiting car. “Oh my god, what have we done?” Demi exclaimed, scared of the consequences that surely awaited her at home but high on the thrill of running away with Elvis Presley, even if it was just from a boring party. “We just ditched a party that wasn’t dong anything for us. Ain’t nothing wrong with that.” “But what will Momma say? And The Colonel? He sure will be sore at you for ditchin’.” “Not as sore as they’ll both be when they find out we left together.” Elvis reasoned, knowing Demi would agree. She was clearly a smart kid, but was also clearly very naïve. Compared to her, Elvis was a man of the world. He’d been around the block; seen a lot and done a lot. And while he was all for the idea of waiting until you’re married to sleep with someone, though he hadn’t done that himself, he knew that Demi’s parents were big believers in that rule. If they thought Demi was doing something along those lines with him, they’d be furious. As if she could read his mind, Demi put her hand on his shoulder. “They know you well enough to know you wouldn’t go against their beliefs. Especially since you share those beliefs.” She assured. “But I didn’t keep the one we’re both thinking about.” Elvis replied, thankful that he had to keep his eyes on the road. He didn’t want to see that they were both thinking about that and doing it with each other. He felt Demi’s hand leave his shoulder and they fell into an uneasy silence.

Crap. I messed up. Crap!’ Demi’s mind screamed, though her face remained composed. She’d been sat beside Elvis as they sped down the highway in silence for the last 10 minutes. It shouldn’t have been so uneasy, just sitting in silence with him. ‘Have to do somethin’ to loosen us up. But what…?’ Spotting the radio, Demi nodded to herself. She turned it on and flicked quickly to her favourite station. One-Sided Love Affair was playing, a song that Elvis had recorded for his debut album. Demi started singing along, much to Elvis’ surprise. Soon enough, he couldn’t help but smile at her and start singing too. They sang along to every song that played, never stopping until they reached their final destination: the beach.