I'm Left, You're Right, She's Gone

3 Years Later – Los Angeles, 1972

Demi was sat at her dressing table when the frantic knocking began. She frowned and began to walk downstairs. Before she’d even started walking down the stairs, Elvis appeared in the doorway. Demi’s frown turned to a look of concern. “Elvis… Are you crying?” She asked. Elvis sniffed and suddenly burst into tears. Demi was utterly shocked. She’d always known that Elvis, although thinking of himself as a ‘manly man’, was very in touch with his emotions. It was one of the many things she loved about him. But she’d never seen him in a crying heap. He sank to the floor and she rushed over. Cradling him in her arms, she asked what was the matter. “Cilla…” He choked out. “What about Cilla?” “She’s… She’s… She’s leaving me Demi.” Demi stopped dead. Still clutching his shaking body, she sat, terrified. “Did she say why?” Demi asked finally. She’d dreaded the day Priscilla found out about them, afraid she would lose her friend. “She doesn’t know. She’s met someone.” Elvis told her, wiping his eyes and sitting up. Pulling a handkerchief from her robe’s pocket, she handed it to him. “Can you walk?” She asked. Elvis nodded and, with Demi’s help, got to his feet. Shutting the front door properly and following him into her living room, she asked, “Aren’t you supposed to be in Vegas?” Elvis shrugged, sitting on the couch. “I couldn’t be there. She left last night after I… after something happened and she came to see me. Demi, it was awful.” Demi frowned again. “What do you mean by ‘something happened’? What did you do?” Elvis looked away, putting his sunglasses on. “Elvis? What the hell did you do?” Elvis looked up at her, his lips pursed. Taking his sunglasses off again, his eyes burned her. “I gave her what she wanted. And now she’s gone.” What she wanted? What did that mean? Demi went to get Elvis a drink, thinking over the phone calls and visits she had from Priscilla. She’d often complained to Demi that Elvis wasn’t around enough, that he was missing Lisa growing up, and that he was no longer attracted to her and didn’t want to be with her sexually any more. Then it hit her. Demi walked back into the living room, feeling numb. Elvis looked up as he took the drink from her. “What’s wrong?” He asked, noticing Demi’s sudden change in body language. “Elvis… Please tell me you didn’t assault her.” Elvis shied away, ashamed. “Oh, E. Why?” Demi asked, sitting on the coffee table, opposite the couch where he sat. A few tears fell down his cheeks. “I don’t know what came over me. I thought if I gave her what she wanted, she’d stay. I can’t lose her. I can’t lose my Cilla.”

*Over the next 5 years, Elvis’ health deteriorated. He gained weight; his mood swings often resulted in violent and verbally abusive attacks; and he lost a lot of people who couldn’t take the strain anymore. But Demi still stayed by his side. As his career declined, she became more and more successful. As well as her modeling career, she released albums of her own, as well as appearing in several successful movies.

Although Elvis had changed drastically, Demi was still deeply in love with and devoted to him. Many boyfriends came and went, but Elvis always remained. And then came August 16th, 1977…*