Ending As Quickly As It Began

Las Vegas, Nevada, April 30th – The Night Before The Wedding

Elvis watched Demi from his seat across the room. God, she looked beautiful, especially in the gentle hue of the decorations hung from the rafters above them. He smiled and played along as Priscilla showed off her engagement ring to the camera that was filming their last night as ‘singletons’. He smiled when she kissed his cheek and whispered to her lovingly. But Demi was always in the corner of his eye, looking far too stunning for her own good. It was almost like since she’d found out about the engagement, she’d upped her game in the looks department. And it was driving him crazy. He couldn’t touch Priscilla unless they married. But Demi… she was already a woman of the world, so to speak. He could do all manner of things to her, and she’d know exactly how to respond. Oh the things he’d like to do to her…

Around 11pm, Demi excused herself from the party. “Maid-of-honour needs her beauty sleep too. Jerry, would you walk me back to my room?” Just as Jerry started to get up, Elvis was already on his feet. “I’ll take her, Jer. I want to have a word with the M-O-H. And then I might take myself to bed.” He turned to Priscilla, giving her kiss and wishing her sweet dreams. “See you tomorrow.” Priscilla whispered. “That you will.” Elvis replied. He turned back to Demi, nodding. “Lead the way.” Demi nodded, walking back towards the hotel, Elvis right behind her.

They walked in silence until they were at Demi’s door. “Thanks, E. You can go now…” Demi whispered, unlocking the door. As the door clicked open, Elvis whispered. “Can I come in for a bit?” “I don’t think that’s a good idea…” “Please, Demi?” Demi looked over her shoulder at Elvis, crushed when she saw how gloomy and distressed his bright blue eyes were. “Okay… But only for a few minutes.”

Elvis sat on Demi’s queen-sized bed, watching as she made them both a drink. “What’s this about, E?” She asked at last, handing the drink to him. They both downed the whiskey in one gulp, setting their glasses down on the floor by their feet in unison. “Demi… Please don’t let me marry Cilla.” He murmured. Demi’s heart plummeted and soared at the same time, if that was even possible. “What?” “I love you, Demi.” Elvis said, looking up at her. “Elvis, please… Don’t do this to me.” Demi begged. Before she knew what was happening, Elvis was kissing her. As he pushed her back onto the bed, thoughts ran rapidly through her mind. How many times had she imagined what kissing Elvis felt like? Now she knew: magic. Not only was he a fantastic kisser, but he somehow managed to be gentle and passionate, all at the same time. But this couldn’t happen; she couldn’t sleep with Elvis. So as the zip on the side of her dress began to open, Demi pulled away. “I think you should leave.” Demi said quietly. Elvis stared at her, heartbroken at the rejection. “Dem– ” “Please, Elvis. Just go.” Elvis did leave her, and he knew it was over.