Epilogue

After Elvis’ death, Demi descended into a deep pit of depression. A cruel cycle of binging and purging left her once curvy and toned body skeleton like and fragile. Her once infrequent drug taking became an addiction, landing her in rehab 7 times in 11 years. During one of her clean phases, Demi met and married a young recording engineer. They had a son together. He was named Aaron. After a freak accident, Demi’s new love was killed. Demi, heartbroken again, turned back to drugs. This time, she wouldn’t make it back.

As Demi lay dying in hospital, she woke up to find Priscilla sitting by her bed. “Cilla?” She whispered. She hadn’t see Priscilla in almost 6 years, since the birth of Aaron. “Hi Demi.” Priscilla whispered back, trying desperately hard not to cry. “How’re you?” Demi asked. Priscilla laughed. “You’re the one whose dying and you’re asking me if I’m okay?” Priscilla replied. She shook her head. “Typical Demi.” Demi smiled weakly.

During this last meeting, Priscilla told Demi that she’d known about the relationship with Elvis for some time. Crying, Demi said, “I’m so sorry, Cilla…” “Stop. I forgave you when I first found out. I knew it was bound to happen, from the moment I met you. There was something about the two of you, how you were together, I could never quite describe it.” “But that’s no excuse for what I did.” Demi whispered. Priscilla smiled tenderly. “He was a much better person when he was with you. I noticed the change right away. He was a better husband to me, a better father to Lisa, a better man overall. And it’s all because he thought of you constantly. I knew he still loved me, but I knew he loved you too. And I excepted that.” “But why?” Priscilla kissed Demi’s clammy forehead softly, just like Elvis used to. “Because you’re the best friend I’ve ever had and the best friend I’ll ever have. And I forgive you.” Demi breath started to become shallower.

At around 9pm, Demi took Priscilla’s hand. “Take care of Aaron for me, won’t you?” She asked. Priscilla nodded, tears streaming down her cheeks. Before she could answer, Demi was gone. She was 49 years old.

 The End